''No no wait I have to tell you," he interrupted, squealing. Some nurses looked at him as he walked his way to the elevator, but he didn't notice. And he wouldn't even care anyway because the sweetest boy had told him he loved him and that what all that mattered for now. 

''You ready??" he asked, as the doors of the elevator closed and it was just him and an old lady in it. 

''Go on!" Teresa said, giggling. 

''I kissed him!" Thomas squealed. "I mean, he kissed me, I mean we kissed." 

He couldn't believe it as he spoke. He really kissed Newt. Newt. N e w t. 

Teresa squealed at the other side of the phone, happy that her brother finally got the boy he loved so much. ''You have to tell me everything Tom,'' she said when they had both calmed down. ''I can't believe you're dating now. Cassie is gonna be sooo thrilled." 

Thomas bit his bottom lip, unlocking the door of his office. He didn't know what to say to that. 

''Tom?", Teresa called when it has been a minute he didn't say anything. 

''Yeah,'' Thomas said. ''Sorry.'' 

''What's wrong?" she then asked, and Thomas could tell she was frowning just by her tone. 

''Uh...I just- I don't know if Newt thinks it's ... you know. Dating. He can always change his mind," he sighed, slumping into his chair as his heart started racing once again. He closed his eyes for a minute and knew he would hang up any moment now. It felt like the air in the room got sucked up. 

''Tom.'' 

''Um.'' 

''Not everyone's going to leave," his sister said. 

''Yeah," he said. ''I know." 

Teresa didn't say anything back. 

''Hey, um, I have to go. I still have to get my files for the day," he said, shaking his head for himself as if to shake the thoughts away. 

I'm fine. Newt's fine. We're fine

''Okay,'' Teresa said, upset. Mostly worried. She knew her brother and she knew how he always dread others leaving him behind. Like they had often done. And she could not understand how someone would ever leave Thomas. 

''I love you,'' she added, ''talk to you later?" 

''Okay, yeah,'' he said. ''I love you too," Thomas said, and he hung up. 

His phone vibrated on the desk just a few seconds after. Thomas looked at the text -- it was a text from Teresa. 

tessa💃: ask him. if you're scared that he might not feel the same as you do, it's the easiest way to know. ask him what it means to him 😘

Thomas thought she was right. He had to find some ways to stop being afraid, especially with Newt. He didn't want to risk losing him. Thomas had often shut things down when feeling like this ; he couldn't do that with Newt. 

He wanted to believe in Newt and him. 

He sent a text. 

to : newt ❤️ : i miss you 😿

He crossed his fingers for him to feel the same. Glancing at the clock, Thomas saw how he was a little bit late on his schedule and quickly ran out the room to get his files -- and schedule of the day. He smiled at people walking in the hallways, patients and other doctors he didn't really know. 

''Hey Thomas,'' the secretary, a girl named Lydia, said as he stopped at her desk to get his programm. Thomas smiled and the girl searched for a minute on her computer. She then printed out a piece of paper, with all of Thomas' appointements for today. ''Okay,'' she said smiling, handing the sheet to him. ''Your last patient had to cancel. Looks like you're done at 4 today," she added, smiling again.