Chapter 2

Hazel Blum

Groton is a town located in Connecticut, United States. The town has a total area of 45.3 square miles, of which 31 square miles is land and 14.2 square miles is water. So about 68.5% of the town is land, and the remaining 31.5% is water. The town is framed by the Thames River and the Mystic River. Both State and Municipal parks provide abundant access and views of the water.

I was born and raised in Groton, Connecticut. For the past seventeen years, there was nothing I liked more about this town than the view to the beach. I had always thought of it as a mesmerizing view. Every time I had to ponder on something, or whenever I was bored, I would go sit by the beach and just watch it. It was somewhat pointless, because it's not as if the water was going to wash over me and take my problems away with it, but I felt relaxed. Maybe it was the simplicity yet complexion of the landscape, or how silent it was at times.

I knew whenever it was going to be really loud, because my father worked at the General Dynamics Electric Boat (GDEB) as an Engineer and Designer. He had a very important position, so he would always tell us whenever something noisy and disturbing would be taking place. Since his job was technically at the river, we lived relatively close to it, in a big, grayish-blue and white house. I never understood why we lived in such a big house, when there was only three of us and the maid. I guess my father wanted to give my mother and I a comfy life.

That afternoon, after the first day of school, I sat by the beach shore and stared. It was barely 4PM, but the view was still gorgeous. The water was so clear you could see the little fish swimming around. The blue canopy above me was filled with white, cumulus clouds, which looked like huge cotton balls.

I then remembered that I had promised my mom to be home by 4PM and ran off.

"Hey, mom," I shouted as I made my way inside.

"Hay, I cooked you pasta, it's in the kitchen!"

I waltzed toward the kitchen, almost tasting the pasta from ten meters away. My mom had always been a good cook. She never really cooked that much because the maid did it for her, but when she did, those were my favorite days. I sat on one of the fancy mahogany wooden chairs, took ahold of the knife and fork, and ate all the pasta my stomach could bear. By the time I was done, I could barely stand up and walk.

I ascended the stairs, then turned to the right and walked down the hall until I reached the white door that led to my room. I followed my everyday routine; took my clothes off, put on some comfortable pajamas, grabbed my laptop, lied down on the bed and reblogged and watched movies or series. At exactly 6PM, I received a text message.

From: Roger
Really hoping to see you on Friday... you'd make my night simply by showing up. Xo

I smiled at the screen, and a tiny giggle escaped from my lips. I bit my lip as I thought of something to reply.

To: Roger
If you put it like that, I might as well consider it.

And about one minute later, I got a reply.

From: Roger
Oh, please do come. You know there's no one else I'd like to see at the party but you.

And then I remembered Harry, and how he might attend the party, too. I had nothing to lose, to be honest. If Harry did not go, I could just hook up with Roger, or I could walk back home. He lived pretty close to my house. In fact, his house and mine were very alike. We lived in the same neighborhood and our fathers worked together, along with Julia's, so that was why we were all so close.

To: Roger
Haha you're such a flirt. And okay, if you insist, I'll be there. May I know who else is going?

I knew Roger would not suspect anything, because he did not really know much about who I had set my eyes on. With the simple act of me saying I would attend, he would do anything and everything for me. I felt bad for using him, when he was so fond of me, but I could not always be selfless. I had to think about myself and what was convenient for me, too.