I frowned, leaving my tea untouched. "You're not making any sense."

"I'm not explaining myself well. I need... I mean... " Looking frustrated, he ran his hand through his hair, staring down at my tea cup. "How's the tea?"

I was surprised by the change in subject. A strange thought occurring to me, I lifted the teacup, tipping it back against my lips. "It's fine."

Watching me closely, something dark passed behind Graham's eyes. A terrifying obsessive glance. But before I could study it closer he relaxed, leaning back in his chair with a smile.

"Good. Well, we have plenty to talk about." Standing up, he headed back to the kitchen. "You relax, I'll make us some dinner."

"I didn't say you could stay for dinner." At my annoyed words, he gave me a sad smile, startling me.

"Would it kill you to pretend you care about my good opinion?"

I shrugged. "You have plenty of people back in the Western City for that. I never wanted it."

"And yet you are the only one to truly have it." Not waiting to see my reaction to his words, he walked back to the kitchen, leaving me behind.

I sat there, confused for a few moments. The story is off track. Staring down at my teacup, I frowned. Why is he really here? We've barely spoken before, and most of that was me criticizing him. Why on earth would that make him want to risk missing the third test to come find me?

I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to get in a fight with the main character. Especially as I had been more and more involved with the plot lately.

You can't even call me a nameless background character anymore... at this rate... I'm a nameless side character... or maybe a nameless secondary villain? I shook my head slowly at the thought. Either way, fighting with the hero is a direct ticket to certain death.

A delicious smell wafted over from the kitchen, reminding me of my uninvited guest's presence. But it's not like I want to stay here and play house with Graham either!

A small voice in the back of my mind whispered: If you're going to be involved with the plot either way, wouldn't it be better to just be at Luke's side?

Either way, I was rapidly running out of options. I glanced down at the now cool tea sitting in front of me, the thought that had come to me earlier reinforcing itself, making me feeling sick. Could I be wrong?

There's only one way to find out.

__________________________

"Dinner's ready!" After an hour or so Graham called out from the kitchen with a cheerful voice. I walked back, picking up the bowls that appeared to have some sort of meat stew in it, and quickly brought it to the table. "Can you grab the salt? It's in the lower crate by the door!" I called back over my shoulder, my hands moving quickly after the plates were set down.

The sound of rustling could be heard, followed by Graham appearing with a triumphant grin, holding a small jar. "Found it!"

We both sat down, and began to eat.

"The third test will be starting soon." I watched his expression as I brought up the topic, noting his solemn expression.

"Don't worry, dear." He winked at me, the expression making me uncomfortable. "I'll be ready."

I raised an eyebrow. "Is it really something you can prepare for?"

Taking another bite, Graham leaned back in his chair, thinking. "Well, yes and no. You see, all of the tests are about loyalty in one way or another." He lifted the necklace around his neck. "The first, the token, means that you have your family's support." Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out the Tarif. "The second is about getting the loyalty of your enemies."