Chapter 33 (Surprise Surprise)

I wake up to the cravings of toast. My stomach growls making me hungry more than I was. I run to the bathroom, not in a hurry to eat, but in a hurry to puke out everything I've eaten last night. I knew I should have ate less but these days I was just so hungry. I brush my teeth and it dawns on me. Puking and Hunger. Am I pregnant?

All I could think of was no no and no. I could not get pregnant. Not now at least. I have so much more to do than sit home as a mother and housewife. If I was pregnant, then I am a bad mother already, regretting that I ever got pregnant. Stupid me. Stupid Ali.

I open up the cupboard and take out a pregnancy kit that I had bought earlier. Time for the truth. I wait for 15 seconds as it states in the packets before looking at my results. "Please please please no" I mentally plead inside myself.

I open one of my eye peeking at the stick as if it was a scary movie. It was scary alright, that I had to admit.

'Negative'

A mental relief washes over me and I let go of the breath I didn't even know I was holding. I dispose the stick and go back to my normal routine.
It had been a month me and Ali had to leave the house. I truly do miss my family, my family as in my mother in law and Zainab. We talk occasionally and do meet up for lunches and dinners but that was all.

Me and Ali soon moved into our luxury apartment which I got for my mahar and from then on things were running smoothly for us. I had been busy with my final year and deciding which field I should go in. I was leaning towards journalism although my mind often wanders between teaching and law. It was really hard deciding.

I made my way downstairs and do my usual chores considering that today was a weekend. Ali was never around anymore. He had been too occupied with work to even spend any time with me. Nowadays all he would do is fit me in his time gap. I remember the same conversations we would have every night.

"You never have any time for me Ali" I say sitting cross legged in the bed while Ali types away on his laptop like usual.

"I do have time for you" he says keeping his eyes pierced onto the screen.

"You never talk to me anymore" I whine although I know he isn't paying any attention to me anymore.

"I am talking to you now" he says, his eyes still locked on the screen.

"See this is what I mean" I say over exaggerating and throw my hands in the air which finally got his attention.

"What you mean?" He asks like nothing is wrong.

"You never talk me to" I say again. Before he could say the same thing back to me I put a finger up, silencing him. "You say you talk to me but you don't Ali. And you never have time for me. Talking to me while you are on your laptop isn't talking. You fit me into your free spaces. Why can't you make some time off for me? That's all I'm asking. Make me a priority as you make your work one." But however much i say it I know it's useless because this conversation has happened way too many times. The next thing he's gonna do is put away his laptop and come closer to me, kissing me on my lips and leaving trails of kisses everywhere else. Then we would both drift off to sleep, me satisfied that he finally listened to me and we would go back to this endless cycle.

The only time we even end up making love to each other would be the time I ask, no, beg for his attention and time. Like for example, now.

He leans in closer and I know this routine all too familiar to object. I get carried away in the moment forgetting everything. My plea soon disappears into the back of my mind and I know it will be a few days before the same topic emerges again and it would lead is back to this exact moment. I was too accustomed to this routine.

Once I was done with my chores my stomach grumbled again and I made sure to eat until I could no longer walk anymore. But it all went in vain when I had to run to the bathroom to puke again. I must have the flu or something, but I don't feel unwell or anything.

I call Ali and wait for him to answer.

"Hello?" I say into the phone.

"Hi. Who is this?" Says a lady. Why was a lady answering his phone?

"Umm... Can I speak to Ali?" I say. I hear giggles in the background and my inside starts flipping.

"Can I know who you are?" She asks carelessly.

"His wife!" I was losing my patience and my stomach ready to empty its contents again was not helping.

"Oh" she says quickly. I hear some shuffling behind her "he's in a meeting. I'll let him know" she says hanging up the phone before I could respond.

The curiosity in me peaks more than usual. Before I could think I end up dialling the number which I will soon regret.

"Omar?" I say into my phone.

"Amina? Is everything ok?" he asks startled and surprised.

"Yeah, everything is okay" I say not wanting to mention Ali. "Are you at the office?" I ask unsurely.

"Yes, why?"

"Is Ali there?"

"He didn't come to work today. Come to think of it, he hasn't been at work much lately. Is there a problem?"

I shake my head even though he can't see me. "No, everything is perfect" I say even though my voice starts to break. "Thanks" I quickly hang up the phone and decide to sleep it off. Whatever it is, I need to talk to Ali to know. I know better than to trust Omar's words, but something inside me tells me that he's not lying.

Before I could even go to the room I end up running to the bathroom again and puking. I guess I really am starting to get a flu now.

**********************
Hey guys, I missed my Growing fans a lot. Surprise Surprise to you. Thanks to everyone who is supporting me with my NaNoWriMo at the moment. I owe you an update. I feel so bad abandoning you.

Oh and one more thing. Today is my birthday ❤️ (14/11) so my treat to you is an update. Enjoy (plus I secretly want your wishes *wink wink*). Allah bless all

VOTE AND COMMENT.