Chapter 20: Rescue From Angels

You look up at him with sadness. "We have to go get him.

Alby shakes his head. I don't know the Maze well enough."

"Me and Minho can split up and try and find him." You suggest.

"You're hurt, who knows what could happen, you could pass out again." Alby adds worriedly .

"That's a risk I'm willing to take. We're running out of time, go get Minho."

Alby nods and runs off to get Minho, you shout after him,

"Keep this under wraps ok!?"

Alby gives a thumbs up. You walk to the edge of the Maze and wait for Minho. In less than a minute Minho is by your side along with Alby. You explain the situation to Minho who accepts it solemnly. The you turn to the Maze. Alby grabs your arm,

"Y/n, please be careful." You smile at him warily. In his eyes you can see what he's trying to say. There's been too many losses, all too recent. You smile reassuringly at him, then take off into the Maze. Your head is pounding, but you carry on anyway. You have no idea how long it's been, he could be gone by now. You have to try. Too many losses.

Each step seems to take an hour and you're running out of time. Turn after our you search for any clues as to where Newt went as fear and dread fills your thoughts. Your ears perk ups as you hear a wail from afar. You freeze. Closing your eyes, you listen intently. Where are you Newt? You hear another cry of pain to your left. Immediately you take off down the corridor to your left.

"Newt!? Newt can you hear me!?" You call out, begging for him to answer.

Another cry of pain comes form the right. You peal off to the side, running as fast as you can.

"Newt!! Can you hear Me!? Newt let me help you!"

"Y/n!?" You hear. You gasp and skid to a halt.

"Newt!!?"

"Y/n, I'm here!" Newt shouts weakly. You can hear the pain shaking in his voice.

"I'm coming Newt, Hold tight!"

Running in the direction of his voice, you try not to imagine all the things he could have done. You just need to get to him and get him home safe.

You turn a corner and stop. There he is lying on the ground, groaning and writhing in pain, holding his leg. He jumped. You kneel down next to him. His leg is bent in all the wrong places and he's bleeding from several places. Gently you touch his leg causing him to scream in pain. You bite your lip.

"I'm so sorry Newt. Don't worry everything is going to be ok."

Newt nods, his face scrunched up in agony. You stand to your feet,

"Minho!! Minho I found him!" You shout, hoping Minho is nearby.

You pull Newt's head to your chest.

"It's going to be ok, I've got you. You'll be ok."

Newt nods weakly as he cries into your shirt.

He's going to be ok. He has to.

 You wrap your arms around Newt, trying your best to comfort him. The sun sits directly above you, which means you're running out of time to get Newt back home. You take a deep breath, you know what you have to do. You can't wait any longer. Slowly you stand to your feet, causing the ground beneath you to spin as your head screams with pain. After struggling to re-gain balance you slowly start to lift Newt off the ground. You have to carry him. Newt cries out in pain as he is lifted from the ground. You match his cry with your own strain to get him up. Step by step you move through the Maze.

With each jarring step Newt winces and screams. You shut your eyes and bite your lip, tuning out the sounds of his agony. Your arms shake under his weight as you take each slow step. He seems to be growing steadily heavier. Your brow drips with sweat, as a not-so-lovely smell arises from your armpits. You struggle on anyway, though your head still pounds with throbbing pain and your vision blurs, you continue on.

Newt reaches up, gripping onto your arm, squeezing it until it's blue, digging his nails into your skin as he screams in pain.

"It's ok Newt. I'm sorry. We're almost there." You soothe.

"Y/n!?" You hear Minho's voice from afar.

You freeze.

"Minho!?" You shout hopefully.

"Y/n, I'm coming to you!" He shouts in response.

You set Newt on the ground as gently as you can. Wincing as he cries. Newt finally releases his death grip on your shoulder. You can feel a small trickle of blood drip down form where his nails once were. The world around you is blurred and void of color. You brace yourself against the Maze wall, forcing yourself to stay strong until Newt is safe back home.

Like an angel disguised under glorious hair, Minho darts around the corner into view.

"Oh thank goodness." You sigh.

"You two look like clunk." Minho responds blatantly.

You roll your eyes. "Come on Minho, let's get him home."

Minho nods, then bends over, sliding his arms underneath Newt's body, lifting him gently off the ground. Newt cries out once more, so you take his hand and run along side the two boys. Newt squeezes your hand even harder than he did your shoulder and Minho's faster pace sends shocks of pain down his broken body.

"It's ok Newt. We've got you." You state just before Newt looses consciousness.

Why couldn't she just let him die? He knows the answer to the question "too many losses". Y/n shouts something, although Newt can't make it out. The next thing he knows is he's on the ground. Newt lets out a sigh of relief as most of the pain relaxes in his body. Minho appears from around the corner, then lifts him off the ground, starting to run once more. Newt screams as white hot pain flares up inside of him. Almost immediately someone is by his side offering their hand. Newt squeezes with all his strength as his vision starts to fade to black. Newt turns his head to see what looks like an angel smiling down at him.

"It's ok Newt. We've got you." She says in a sweet soft voice. Then he passes out.