27. I'm in Charge

Start from the beginning

Bella didn't help with the destruction of the poor newborns; she couldn't spare them a true, pitying thought. She was too exhausted. The physical toll of the battle had exhausted her, but the mental power taken to hold the newborns in place had almost knocked her out. She wanted to help the Cullen's. She wanted to check on Sam. She couldn't. Brady and Colin, her boys, she thought to herself, took up post next to her. Brady licked the blood from a wound on her paws, and Bella drifted off.

Shortly after falling asleep Bella's wolf form gave way to her human one. Rosalie wrapped Bella up in a jacket, doing her best to protect her mate's modesty, and picked Bella up. She cradled Bella, who seemed much smaller than normal. Rose kissed Bella's forehead and began the walk to her home. Their home, really. When it was obvious that Bella wasn't going to wake up, Rose started to sprint. She set Bella on her bed, covering her up with the blanket. Rosalie went out to the Jeep and grabbed Bella's spare bag of clothes. Bella was safe. Rose was safe. They had come through alive. Rose tried to let go of the feeling that she was missing something, that something was hanging over her head. The other shoe isn't going to drop, she chided herself. We're okay.

Rosalie was halfway down the stairs, walking at a very normal pace when she remembered what she was forgetting. She took out her phone and dialed a number. The phone rang one full time before the phone was answered. "Hello?" He asked, the tension and anxiety wearing his voice thing.

"Charlie?" Rose questioned, even though she knew it was him.

"Oh god," he moaned, "oh no." He choked up.

Rosalie cut in quickly, "Charlie! Charlie, she's fine. We're fine."

"Oh god," he groaned. It sounded like he dropped heavily onto something, like a chair or the floor. "She's okay?"

"She's perfect."

"Why didn't she call? She said she'd call if everything was okay."

"She's asleep. I'm sure you can imagine how exhausting it would be."

"Yeah, okay." He sighed heavily. "Thank god. How is everyone? Are you okay? Should the town be uh-worried?"

Rose was touched that he was inquiring about her personally. "No sir. We're all okay, except for-"

"Except for who?"

"Jared and Sam." Rosalie sighed. "Sam is hurt. We don't know if he's going to be okay. Carlisle is with him though."

"Sam Uley," Charlie breathed. "Has anyone talked to Emily yet?"

"No."

"I'll call her. I assume they'll take him to the hospital?"

"I don't know. Last I saw he was still, well..." Rosalie paused. "Still a wolf. Can't exactly bring a wolf to the hospital."

"Okay. Right. Yeah. What about Jared?"

Rosalie sighed. "He didn't make it."

Charlie's sharp inhale made Rosalie's chest hurt. "Oh god. Okay. I'm gonna head to the res." Charlie gave Rose Emily's number. "Call her directly when you know more."

"Yes sir, we will."

"Rose?"

"Yes sir?"

"Thank you." Rose choked up. Charlie didn't seem to need an answer. He hung up. Rosalie sat on the porch and simply allowed herself to be. Her mate was safe. Her family was safe. They had problems to figure out, but she didn't need to worry about them right now. She refused to. Rose sat on the porch and simply waited. Waited for her family to come to the house. Waited for her wolves to return after bringing Jared back to the reservation. Waited for day to turn to night, night to turn to day, and back again. She had time, and for the first time the idea of eternity didn't scare her.