5. I've Decided We're Friends Now

"Does this effect the terms of the treaty?" Sam sat stiffly.

Harry smoked slowly. He looked at Billy before answering. "I don't know. Any time that we've had questions about the treaty, we've discussed it with the blonde Cullen. Our ancestors didn't cover everything."

Billy ran a hand over his tired face. "Bella is ours. There is no question about it." He sighed. "There is also a certain protection offered for every imprintee. None of us, or any of our kin, could harm the blonde bloodsucker."

"It is our duty to protect our people." Sam responded. "If she should attack-"

"Do not presume to lecture me on duty, Samuel Uley." Billy responded coldly. Sam bowed his head, acknowledging his mistake. "Ephraim could not have seen this coming. Adopted shifters are so rare. We will have to meet with the cold ones. Has there been any sign of the red-eyed vamp?"

"No, there hasn't." Sam looked out into the darkness. "We've run constant patrols, but she hasn't crossed our path in a week or so. She's either abandoned the hunt or is trying something new."

Harry nodded in agreement. "We have much to discuss. We can no longer patrol the Cullen's lands. It seems we have limited options."

"I understand. When would you like me to call the meeting?"

"Hold off for now," Billy responded, one hand raised. "Bella needs time. Her imprint is new to her. It may be frightening to her. You will remember that well." Sam hung his head; Harry cleared his throat. "This is a delicate situation. I have never seen an imprint react badly before, but I have also never seen a wolf imprint on a vampire. I do not want to jeopardize Bella's future, no matter who it may be with." Sam snorted.

"Something funny, Samuel?" Harry asked seriously.

"My apologies, I was only imagining you saying that same sentence a year ago. Forgive me, please."

Billy nodded. "Forgiven. The winds of change are upon us and standing on tradition and ceremony is about to be very difficult." Billy looked out into the evening as wind ruffled his long hair. He embodied tradition, and to hear him question it shook Sam to the core. "Keep up with patrols. Run the full length of our land. Bella's connection with the Cullen's may allow us to help patrol their land as well."

"And if they agree to allow us on their land?" Sam asked. "Will we then allow them on ours?"

"Absolutely not," Billy sneered. "The treaty stands in place for that reason, and that reason alone. To disregard that would destroy this tenuous co-existence."

"I understand." Sam stood. "What will you have me do?"

"For now? Do as you have. Maintain the patrols. Send out pairs at a time. If the redhead reappears, we must find her and eliminate her." Harry seemed finished, so Sam turned to go. Harry called after him. "And Sam?"

"Yes?"

"Let Leah run with Bella sometimes. They may ally themselves to each other. They both understand difficult imprints."

Sam nodded. There was no malice in Harry's voice, but Sam felt ashamed anyways. He left, and Billy looked at Harry seriously. "You've got to let it go, Harry."

"She's my only daughter. I know he didn't have a choice, but her pain is my pain." Billy nodded, understanding. "What are we going to do, Billy? Does Charlie know about Bella? Do the Cullen's?"

Billy shrugged. "I don't think so. We may have to have a meeting alone with Bella. Now isn't the time though. Now it's time for rest."

Bella arrived home after her gym class jamboree to the sight of Leah leaning on a dirt bike in her driveway. "Well hello, sourpuss. What brings your sorry tail into town?"