33. Here Comes the Bride, All Dressed in Wine

Start from the beginning

Gasps rang out from everyone and lots of people murmured in adoration of my mother’s beauty. I guess this wedding wasn’t too bad.

~.~

“I think your cousin is quite the floozy,” Ryder whispered in my ear as I poured myself some punch.

I turned to glare at him. “Excuse me?”

“Nina, she won’t leave me alone.”

“She’s not a floozy, Ryder, she’s just talkative. Be nice, you’re never going to see her again anyways.” I snorted.

“What if we got married?” He hugged me from behind and I flinched.

“Hannah, should I eat cake, I feel fat?” my mother asked me, her eyes filled with conflict.

I busted out laughing and Ryder let me go. “Mom, it’s your wedding, you have to eat wedding cake.”

“Fine, but if I get any more huge, it’s on you.” She stomped over to the cake to join Bruter.

My mom was crazy. I watched as Bruter cut the cake and shoved some in my mom’s mouth, her doing the same. They were cute and they were going to be happy, I know it.

“Hi, Hannah.” Cornelia tugged on a strand of my hair. I turned around.

“Hey, how are you?” I squealed, throwing my arms around her.

“Just dandy. Your mom looks beautiful.”

“You designed the wedding dress.” I rolled my eyes, playful.

She laughed. “I did, didn’t I?”

My dad and Lucas were on the dance floor dancing so stupidly I could disown them. Yet, they were laughing and having a good time which was what really mattered anyways. Gabby came over to me, her eyes wide.

“Oh my God, this is so ugly.”

I laughed. “Who are you telling?”

“I think Lucas isn’t that bad of a dancer,” Omunique said, standing on my other side.

“That’s because he’s your white boy crush. Lucas does no wrong in your eyes.” I snorted. She threw me a look.

My Aunt Viv tapped her fork against her glass and everyone grew quiet. Oh God, this was going to get ugly.

“So, I think it’s time everyone put in their loving words for this lovely couple.” She gestured to my mom and Bruter. “Throughout the years, Maria has been a wild one.” She winked. My mother choked on her piece of cake and Bruter patted her back. “I remember her even specifically saying to me one time, ‘Viv, I’m one day going to have enough men in my lifetime to write a book.’ And I laughed at the silly girl for I thought she was kidding…”

Oh. My. God.

“…Maria has always been promiscuous. She was a free woman, and I think she even experimented once. That’s another story for another time though. My point is that love always comes in the craziest of places and then craziest of times. Like when she met the father of her first children, I swore he was her one, but it turns out she was just not good enough for him.”

Oh. My. God.

“Maria just couldn’t do what was—”

I snatched the microphone from her, smiling at everyone around me. “Thank you, Aunt Viv—those were such sweet and thoughtful words. You can enjoy your cake now.” I patted her back. She stumbled drunkenly back to her seat. I rolled my eyes and prayed to God that I didn’t make a fool out of myself.