Chapter 1

--
Kirishimas pov

"So once we clear this area, we can move on to the north.

I stood over a map, pointing to the area where me and the other five would be searching. Mina spoke up as I pointed to a barren wasteland towards the north.

"There's nothing in that area though. Why would we go there?" I looked up at the people surrounding the table through my black bangs.

"Open land for miles. We can set up watchers on the roofs of campers and if anything steps foot out of the tree line, we'll know." They nodded in agreement before Todoroki spoke up.

"What about enemies? If they walk out of the tree line, they'll see us." I smirked at him.

"That's why we'll have watchers. Up high in that tall grass, we'll spot them before they even think of spotting us." The shorter girl looked up from where she was sharpening her arrows, her striking blue eyes holding curiosity.

"What about resources? If it's empty for miles where are we gonna get food?" We all shifted our gaze towards her as she went back to her arrows and I pointed to the map again.

"There's an old town about five miles east of where we'll be stationed. We should be able to leave at dawn and be back by dusk with supplies if needed." Sero unwrapped his arm from around Kaminari, pointing towards the West.

"We're searching that area before we leave for the north right?" I nodded and drew a circle with my finger.

"This area is all we have left." Kami looked at me, his brows furrowed and chewing on his bottom lip slightly.

"Isn't that where the others were headed?" Me and Mina looked at each other and nodded solemnly.

"That's where they were supposed to go, and they didn't come back within the week, so we did as we were told. We left. Kami shuddered, remembering the moment he kissed his girlfriend goodbye, only to never see her again.

"And we're going there?" Sero put his arm around Kami's waist as he wiped tears from the blonde's face.

"You don't have to go Kam. You can stay back with Todoroki and Hagakure." He buried himself into Sero's arms, sniffling as his back was rubbed by the tall, dark haired man.

"I-I'll go. I just can't stand the thought of seeing her. I-if she's turned, I don't know what I'd do." I turned back to the other three as Sero calmed Kaminari down.

"Todoroki and Hagakure. You two are okay with being on watch, right?" They nodded quickly and I turned to mina.

"You're coming with us four, correct?" She nodded as she adjusted her gun holster.

"Yep. I'll be tagging along further back. Keeping watch for people or walkers." I smiled gratefully at her and turned to a puffy-eyed, yet calm Kaminari and an attentive Sero.

"You two will be searching for food. Cans, dried beans, honey. Anything that you can find that is preservable." They nodded and Kami sniffled slightly before speaking.

"What will you do?"

"There's a weapons shop towards the outskirts of town. I'll head there to look for more guns, bullets and knives," I gestured towards Hagakure, "I'll see about some arrows as well. When Mina catches up, she'll meet me there." She smiled and set her arrow down.

"Thanks Kiri! I've been needing some for a while." I nodded with a smile to her before looking back at the others.

"You're welcome. Now, you all need a good night's sleep before tomorrow. Go get some rest you guys."

"What about you?" I turned to look at Todoroki.

"I'll be on watch for the first four hours, then you'll watch. That okay with you?" He nodded and made his way out of the run down cabin, followed my Mina and Hagakure, who were holding hands.

"Night, Kiri!"

"Goodnight, Mina." I heard Todoroki open the door to our camper and Mina and Hagakure walk into theirs.

Sero waved to me as he gently escorted Kami out the door to their camper. They're not an official couple yet, but I'm sure it wont be long before they are.

I used the ladder on the back of mine and Todoroki's camper to climb up on top and sit in the chair that was there.

There has only been a few times where we had to shoot a gun here. Only when there's a big group of them. If there's only one or two, then we use knives or arrows. They're quieter. Draw less attention.

Most nights the others wouldn't even know there was a walker. Some nights there weren't even any to kill. Tonight seemed like one of those nights. As I sat, I listened to the sound of Todoroki humming underneath me as he probably read a book.

I could hear Kami giggling as Sero told him jokes and tickled him ever so often. I could hear the girls laughing as Mina wiped peanut butter onto Hagakure's nose.

I could hear it all, and I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed listening to the happiness around me because it made me happy, until I find my own happiness.

If that ever happens.

Before I knew it my four hours were up. The girls had gone to bed and Kaminari and Sero were turning lights off. I walked to the ladder and swiftly climbed down, slinging my gun over my shoulder.

I walked into our camper and flipped on a light just as Todoroki stepped out of the bedroom. "My turn?"

I simply nodded and passed him as he walked out the door with his gun and knives. I set my stuff down in the corner and hung my gun up on the wall before plopping onto my twin-sized bed.

I could hear Todoroki's footsteps above me as he paced around instead of sitting. Apparently he tripped because I heard a thud above me, followed my an, "Ow. Dammit."

I couldn't contain my laughter as I fell backwards into my pillows.

"Oh shut up Kirishima." I laughed even harder as he muttered curses under his breath. I heard him stand back up and make his way to the chair, sitting and not moving.

My laughter died down and eventually I turned the lights off, falling asleep to the sound of crickets chirping and the wind blowing.

--