3

eddie and richie were on their bikes, riding down the back streets to go downtown. richie had said he needed to go to the doctors, so eddie tagged along. well actually, he was forced along. richie tends to come barging into his house a lot, dragging eddie wherever he goes.

"hey rich, look at this!" eddie was biking not far behind richie, he was a little slower at riding then richie, but that was because he was careful, richie sometimes referred him to something breakable like glass. "be careful eds, your mom will be mad if you come home with a scratch, and you'd probably die from shock before you even ever got home!" to which eddie almost always responds with "don't call me ed's."

richie looked back at eddie quickly. "what?"

eddie took his feet off the pedals, spreading his legs out in front of him.

"no feet!"

richie replied with a brief smirk. "wow, a real evil canivel." he wasn't really all that impressed, anyone could ride a bike without feet.

eddie and richie arrived outside of the doctors office, richie lets his bike fall against the brick wall and hops inside. eddie never came in with him, only ever waited outside, he was scared he'd get sick being in a sick enviornment. richie never understood but let him wait outside anyways.

richie climbs up the stairs, walking past a few patients rooms. he walks straight to the waiting room as he has millions of times.

doctor keenes older daughter greta worked at the counter, she didn't have to look to know it was richie. he has really been there a lot.

"hi richie, whats wrong today?" she taps away on a keyboard, blowing up a bubble of classic pink bubble gum. she always had bubble gum, and big blue out of style hoop earrings.

"i am very sick." richie says urgently.

"okay, take a seat, i'll see if he's busy." greta picks up the phone, and richie sits in an uncomfortable chair, swinging his legs back and forth underneath it, the tips of his worn shoes only brisking the tiled floor.

"alright, he'll see you. go on in."

richie sits up on the operating table, doctor keene checking his pulse.

"well," richie looks down at him. "what is it? i can handle it."

doctor keene clicks his tounge. "you're perfectly healthy."

"no way! i have all the classic symptoms."

doctor keene sighs. "richie, did they bring mr. nells in today?"

"yes." richie answered, looking away.

"richie, you've gotta stop doing this. there is absolutely nothing wrong with you."

richie hops off the table moodily, leaving quickly and whining to himself.

"what did the old man know anyways?"

richie truly wasnt sick, but he believed to an extent he was. perhaps it was all the death around him, starting with his mothers, that lead him to believe he would die too, very soon.

richie left the building and grabbed his bike, propping it back up and swinging his leg over.

"so," eddie spoke softly, as always, and a little curiously. "what'd he say was wrong with you?"

richie turns on his bike, starting to ride away. "the whole medical profession is a crack."

eddie kicks his kickstand up and rides after. "hey! wait for me."