Chapter Seven

Bright sunlight filtered through the window, tickling November’s face. She blinked dazedly at her open blinds and sighed, rolling over. A glance at her clock told her that it was already noon so she threw back the covers and leapt lithely out of bed. She felt rested and ready to start the day, stretching her muscles agilely before heading to the bathroom to take a shower. Her late-night banter with James and Justin last night had planted a seed of inspiration in her. After getting dressed and placing her dirty clothes in her hamper she unplugged her phone and brought it with her to the kitchen, scrounging around in her nearly bare cupboards for something to eat. She settled for a package of crackers and a bowl of Top Ramen as she sat down and began going through her contacts. She deleted any that were connected to Kyle; she never talked to them anymore so she might as well clear the memory. Every so often she’d come upon a name that she found she deeply missed and she sent them a quick text. The first one was to Alex Sonasha, next one to Aranon Hikaru, one to Channing Russell, one to Daily Wolfe, one to Joey Sonasha, Luke Amparar, Ryuu Mizuchi, Shyam Starrunner, Terrik Sonasha and Tina Davison. They had all been her truest and best friends through high school, and she had let Kyle get in the way of that. Now that she was herself again, she found that she missed them greatly. The first one to reply was Terrik.

Ember? As in November Hikaru? Holy shit, she lives. Guilt rippled through her at his biting sarcasm and she replied quickly.

Yes, I’m alive. I am so sorry I have been such a recluse lately. I want to make it up to you.

The next ones were from the twins, arriving at exactly the same time. Ember smiled, that was just like them. She opened Alex’s first.

What, you’re talking to me again?

She sighed and typed back.

Yes, I am sorry I’ve been ignoring you. I hate this silence. Let me make it up to you.

She moved on to Joey’s and smiled.

You’re back! What brought this on?

She and Joey had always understood one another.

I missed you deeply. I want to make these past few years or silence up to you. She sent back. After that the replies came flooding in; Aranon’s was much like Terrik’s and Ryuu’s practically echoed Alex’s but the rest of them were glad to hear from her. Luke was perhaps the most accepting, next to Shyam. He had replied; Hey love, I’ve missed you. What’s up? Shyam merely wrote: *hug*. The girls all welcomed her back without a question, although Tina did manage to send her on a sugar-coated guilt trip. By the time Twelve thirty rolled around she was out the door, texting away with all ten of them. Ter, Ran, Alex and Ry were all snippy for a while, but they were happy to have her back and eventually welcomed her once more into the fold after her profuse apologies. It came as a shock, wrapped up in her texting as she was, when Justin appeared beside her and pulled her into his arms. She looked up in surprise to find that she was in the middle of Acacia Park and the coven was already surrounding her.

“Hello dears.” She smiled weakly, embarrassed to be caught off guard.

“Who’re you talking to that you’re so absorbed in the conversation?” Justin asked, kissing her cheek quickly. He had on his red cape today over a grey and black Jack Skellington shirt and black skinny jeans.

“Some old friends of mine, I haven’t spoken to them in years.” She admitted as her phone buzzed incessantly with replies from all of them.

“How many are you talking to?” Preston asked, staring at her still vibrating phone. He was in jeans and a white blouse today, his hair pulled back in a half ponytail to display his diamond stud earrings.