Chapter 22

TAYLOR'S POV

It almost seemed weird to me that Caroline was feeling okay today. It was New Years Eve and the 10 year anniversary of her moms death, last year she was devastated on New Year's Eve, today she was talking about going to Kelsey's tonight and she seemed just fine.

"So what time do you need to be taken over there?" I asked Caroline as I cleaned up the kitchen since I was having my own party tonight.

"I think Kelsey's just going to pick me up and bring me over there." She said without looking up from her phone.

"Uhh I'll take you." I said looking at her with a grin and we both remembered the time Kelsey got in a car crash a month after getting her license. Caroline looked up and smiled at me.

"We're supposed to go at seven." She told me.

"I'm hungry." She said after a while, looking up at me. I looked at the clock and it was already 12:30 and I hadn't started lunch.

"Wanna go get something?" I asked and she said yes. We both got our shoes and our coats and headed out the door.

"So who is all going to be at this party?" I asked Caroline once we were in the car.

"Mmm... I don't know." She said, looking out the window.

"Well if there is any drinking or anything going on, come home." I told her, not caring if I sounded like my mom.

"Taylor, there's not going to be any drinking." Caroline laughed like it was a joke.

"Care, that's what people do at high school parties, they drink." I told her.

"No they really don't." She said, irritated. I was going to drop the subject there but I decided against it.

"Well if they do, you better call me and come home." I said.

"Well they won't." She said as I pulled into the parking lot of a pizza place. Once we were parked we got out and carefully walked in through the ice that was built up on the ground. They're weren't many people inside but the ones that were all got up and asked me for pictures as I entered, I ended up giving Caroline the money to order our pizza while I was talking to people.

Once everyone had gotten pictures and everything they wanted I went to go sit down by Caroline at our table. She had our cheese pizza and was already eating. I looked at her and for the first time today I saw a little bit of sadness in her eyes. That's how she was all day a year ago, and I felt bad that I couldn't fix it.

"Will you run to the store with me so I can grab a few things?" I asked her when we were done eating.

"Yeah." She said.

CAROLINE'S POV

I was really looking forward to this party tonight which is the only thing keeping me going. I couldn't stop thinking about how it had been 10 years since I'd seen my mom. 10 years ago I was watching her die, and now 10 years later I finally have a new mom.

I followed Taylor around the grocery store as she got food for her party tonight. She kept looking back at me and asking if I was okay, each time I would tell her I was fine but she was still concerned. When she had everything she needed we paid and headed back for the car.

"Are you sure you're alright, Care?" She asked once we were in the car, getting ready to pull out.

"Taylor, I'm fine." I told her.

"Oh boy, you worry me girl." She sighed as she backed out.

The next time she asked if I was okay was that night when she was driving me to Kelsey's. I reassured her that I was alright and that if I wasn't if call and have her come get me. There were a lot of cars outside Kelsey's house when we pulled up, one of them I recognized as Grace's.