Chapter 50: The Wall Between Us

Ash walked through the empty streets of Lumiose City on a starry night, all alone. Not even Pikachu could be seen with him.

Huh. I must be dreaming again. Ash thought curiously. Little did he know, someone else seemed to be having a similar predicament.

Ugh. Of all the places I could be dreaming about, why does it have to be here? Serena brooded with a moan. She'd also been taking a walk in another part of the city...and looking quite annoyed by it. Lusamine had seen Serena limping a little bit after she got home from Olivia's Grand Trial and turned into an overprotective mother, ordering her to lie down and ice her knee, despite her and her Ultra Beast's protests. Otherwise, she would much rather train them than stroll around this stupid city in a dream. However, that all changed when Serena reached a place that, unknown to her, held a very special spot in her heart.

Ash suddenly stopped and looked up at Prism Tower. As he did this, he relived his first and, arguably, most important moment during his Kalos journey.

If Jessie, James, and Meowth hadn't placed that collar around Garchomp's neck, things would have been very different, huh? Ash asked himself. As much as he didn't want to admit it, the formerly evil trio actually did a good thing by making Garchomp run rampage.

Heh, I might have to thank them later, even though I could've died. If not for that moment, there would not be an...us. Ash mused fondly.

Serena, too, shot a look towards the tall tower. Her head started throbbing like never before, causing her to stagger back a bit. Serena had a small smile on her face as she turned her eyes away from Prism Tower and closed them.

"Why am I feeling so nostalgic? I can't remember anything that happened here." Serena wondered quietly with her heart thumping. Ash must have heard her from behind him because he smiled warmly.

And without warning, he started singing, "She is standing right behind me. She smiles at me and turns her eyes. I think I understand her funny game." Serena's eyes snapped wide open, and she recoiled in shock upon seeing Ash gazing at her caringly.

Wait, Ash?!...And he can sing?! Rather handsomely at that... she thought. Serena rapidly shook her head while her face turned beet red. And yet, for some reason she could not fathom, she felt compelled to sing along with Ash.

"When I see him, I'm not me anymore. I turn red, and talk softly. I run out of breath, and my heart beats fast." Serena continued. Ash casually walked up to her, which made her frown.

When he got close, Serena shoved him away slightly and backed off while shouting, "Get away! It's the only thing to do."

"My heart is upside down. I sense a power that pulls me beyond the wall between us. But why? I dare not tell her anything. I want her just for me, her light, her smile, for one night, crossing this wall between us. And yet, when I think of her, I feel sorrowful. I want to run away in the night to see my Performer. I have a heart to duel." Ash went on, sounding sad. Tears began to fall down his and Serena's cheeks, although she had no idea why she was crying.

"You and me. If we could see each other beyond the mirror, forget our masks for one night, let's break off the pieces of this wall between us." they both sang simultaneously. A few seconds of silence ensued before Serena, while hesitant at first, closed the gap between her and Ash.

"I do not understand what I want. I do not want to fall in love. Where does this mysterious feeling come from?" she continued with mixed emotions. Ash smiled warmly before taking his hat off and dropping it on the ground. Serena glanced at him warily...only to be surprised when he gently placed his hand on the back of her head. She flinched, but made no attempt to push Ash off her this time. He leaned forward slightly so that their foreheads were touching.