His smile fades and he stutters out, "What?"

"I said GET OUT OF HERE. This is unacceptable!" He responds by frantically responding with, "But my lord, thousands of men love these shows-"

"I am not a normal man. You. You will stay here with me as a guest. Something tells me you aren't a fire nation citizen." I say to Katara after I finish speaking with the man.

She turns to me and her stare hardens before she walks away. A couple minutes later she comes back with two satchels.

I call over one of my maids and instruct her, "Can you please take this woman to the West Wing? Best room I have please."

Katara's POV

After I grab my things from the noble man, I see the Fire Lord again. He instructs the maid on where I should go.

I meet his eyes one last time before I pull away from his gaze, trailing behind the maid. She takes a series of twists and turns until we reach my room. It is a simple room, bigger than I expected. It was about the size of two igloos and was definitely a lot more warm.

The maid curtsies before setting a brush, towel, soap, and other items I need before excusing herself.

I thank her softly as she closes the door behind her quickly. I unpack my clothing and set out my night wear before heading to the baths.

Finally after I am clean and happy I fall asleep in the soft silk and satin on my bed.

The next morning, a letter was slipped under my door. It had the official fire nation wax seal on it so I assumed it might be important.

Ripping the seal of I open it carefully and read it. It was an invitation to a ball that afternoon as the guest of Fire Lord Zuko.

I think to myself, "Why me?"

Zuko's POV

Early that morning I slipped an invitation under her door. I was worried she hated me or thought I was some barbarian that just wanted her body.

I took some deep breaths and used some classical breathing techniques from Iroh.

That afternoon, I was a nervous and excited wreck. "Where is she?" I asked one of the maids nearby. She chuckled and responded the same as she did the other eight times I asked, "She's coming don't worry, my lord."

Then, Katara walks down the hallway to me. Her floor long dress swayed gracefully to her pace as she stopped in front of me.

(She isn't wearing the necklace)

She links her arm in mine and we walk to the courtyard where the party is when she touches her throat gingerly as if it check if something was still there.

She sucks in a breath of disappointment before putting her hand back. She just barely trembles as if she never had this many people looking at her.

The room went silent and erupted in murmurs as she walked in. I smile and nod to some close friends before walking her to a quieter spot.

"I'm guessing you're wondering why I invited you?"

She nods and responds firmly, "My lord, I am not different that anyone else you come across."

I set my hand down on the balcony to my left still facing her.

"That is incorrect. Trust me, by the end of tonight I'll prove you that you can trust me." She scoffs and gives me an unconvinced nod and shakes my hand.

"Deal."

I lean in and whisper in her ear softly, "I know these events can be overwhelming, so just squeeze my arm if you want to move on or get some air."

She sighs in relief and nods in agreement.

"Thank you my lord."

"Call me Zuko."

Katara's POV

After our little talk, we walk back to the party to meet some of his friends. He walks to a woman with black hair and empty eyes. She's much shorter than me and is completely bare foot.

The woman turns to Zuko with a mischievous smile on her face. "You look so much like your mother!"

He shakes his head in amusement. "Thanks Toph. I'd believe you if you weren't blind."

She turns towards me and stares me blankly. "Who are you?" I smile kindly and respond, "Katara. From the Water Tribe."