Prolouge

My best friend and current girlfriend, Elliot Johnson, quickly waved goodbye. We were just finished shopping at the mall with other friends, but they left earlier.

Her mom was picking her up and insisted that she drop me home. The weather was cold to the point where my fingers were nearly blue and I didn't know what to say.

"I promise to pick you up, don't worry. Go have fun." I remember my mom saying before I left. She usually doesn't keep her promise. Whenever she do the things she promised and I'm not there, she yells at me all the time. How can you expect me to trust her if she doesn't keep most of her promises and yell at me when Idon't keep my promises? I declined Mrs. Johnson and with that, they went away.

"Mother, you better come and pick me up," I mumbled in the cold. My phone was starting to vibrate. Thinking it was Mother, I quickly answered the phone, "Where are you?" The caller did not replied. I looked at my iPhone to check the ID. Surprisingly, the ID was blocked.

"So, you want to know where I am?" a female voice giggled. Her voice was warm and soothing, nothing like my girlfriend's. My heart must have stopped because I couldn't breath.

"I--uh--I..." It was silence for a couple of minutes until I canceled the call. I shoved my phone in my phone, my heart still beating from her voice. Warmth filed my cheeks. I never knew that I could crush on someone's voice. It echoed in my head to the point where I couldn't hear it anymore.

I still felt cold, but my cheeks no longer were. The sky slowly started to set, but no one came to pick me up. I've called my mother a couple of times. I kept on thinking that she couldn't pick up because she was driving. It's been thirty minutes since Elliot left and Mom was supposed to pick me up around that time. I sighed, rubbing my hands on my arms. I decided to walk around a bit, waiting for my mom. Eventually, I gave up and called Elliot.

"Hello?" she answered. "What's up?" I sneezed and told her that I've been waiting for my mother. "That female dog! No offense. How could she leave you?"

"She must be busy," I replied. The wind was blowing hard, making it hard to listen.

"How could she? Hey, hello? Answer me? Are you trying to leave me hanging?" Elliot quickly said. I laughed, was she trying to talk like Eniminen was raping?

"What are you talki-" I said, but was blocked off by a loud, muffled horn.

"Elliot? Hey, what's with the horn?" I said. Before I knew it, the horn turned into loud truck honks. I turned my head and dropped my phone. Bright headlights faced me. The truck honking deafed me. I covered my eyes, blocking the lights, but then my vision blackened.

I opened my eyes and found myself on the floor in front of the mall. Everything seemed normal, except a dark big and splattered stain on the ground. My vision darkened again and when I opened my eyes, I was no longer in front of the mall, but in front of a grave.

A newly fresh one too.

Don't tell me it's my father's grave. I shut my eyes tightly, but a voice told me to open them. I didn't until I heard Elliot crying.

Opening my eyes, I was crowded with people in black. The sky was dark and cloudy. One of the person in the crowd was Elliot. Then I spotted more familiar people: my best friends, my mom, grandmother, and more. I turned around to the tomb to see my father's last name.

And my name.

Everyone at the grave walked away, leaving me behind.

A pain in my chest deeped and a cool stream of liquid fell down from my face. I looked up at the sky and saw something strange. It was as if someone was calling to me to go up there. A pale glowing light was starting to form. A pain suddenly formed behind my back as I let out a hideous scream.

Tears rolled down my eyes as the pain numbed down. I turn around to see my back full of blood drooling down and bird wings forming out. They were wet and looked weak. The wings were an ugly color. Not pure like white and not punk like black. It was gray.

"You're cursed," a male voice called out. "I, God, forbid you to go to heaven nor hell. You must stay on Earth and I've cursed you with something similar to Cain's curse. From now on, you shall be immortal. Uriel, you shall be called by me. Child, you will repeat history. Therefore, I will not allow you here in heaven."

"What do you mean?" I cried out. My hand tried to reach to the sky, I could feel my unfamiliar wings flap. I couldn't reach no matter how hard I tried.

"You have a curse, Xander." God whispered.