Chapter 1: A Sorceress Walks Into A Bar

On nights like this, most people would want to stay inside. It became dark at 4 p.m. and it's 38 degrees but feels colder from the rain that fell earlier.

My breath is visible against the cold air, and I shivered as a breeze blew by. Adjusting my scarf I picked up the pace, hoping to reach my destination faster. My guild, Grimoire Thorn, was located in the center of the bad part of town. It was invisible to most normies, and those foolish enough to try and wander in would be repelled by the enchantment on the door.

The cold was annoying, but I didn't mind the danger that came with the trek. I may be small, but I am a certified badass. While fights were something I tried to avoid (unless you were on a job), I could definitely handle my own if need be.

Anyway, even if I wanted to, I couldn't have stayed in tonight. It was Friday October 1st, and mandatory guild meetings were held on the first Friday of every month. Usually they were short. Just some honorary recognitions, maybe some new announcements, a few reminders about not getting caught and trying to stay under Magi-Cons radar since the guild was a handful of mistakes and big secrets away from being considered an illegal guild.

But if something couldn't be proved, was it really illegal?

Yes, but what Magi-Con doesn't know won't hurt them.

Once the sigil of a thorny rose and a book hanging above an old wooden door came into view, I beamed. The guild was like a second home to me. Most of the members were considered outcasts in the magic world, but that's just because they bend the rules a tad bit. Most people get along and everyone appreciates individuality and thinking outside the box.

Just remember to keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and your secrets under lock and key.

Being Friday, the guild was full of boisterous noise. Members laughing, cheering, and hollering as someone (probably Brooke) played the violin. Enchantments hid the noise from the outside, making the street side quiet.

I made my way to the edge of the bar where my best friend and roommate always kept a seat free for me. Maybe it was a bit unfair, but Nami was the bartender. Her bar, her rules.

"For the last time Eustass-ya, I am not interested." A deep voice that was straining against nonchalance said.

"Come on Trafalgar! Just one date, one night is all I'm asking for." A tall, bulky, red-haired responded.

"Don't make me call forth my familiar." Law threatened.

Kid just growled, about to say something before I decided to step in.

"Sclipst." I breathed out.

Eustass immediately fell and skidded across the floor, knocking into another mage who promptly fell and landed on top of him. The red-head let out grunt and threw the other mage off before standing and turning a venomous vermillion gaze on you.

"(l.n.)!" He hissed.

"Eustass," – I responded – "why must you harass my good friend here?"

"You shouldn't be so rude and interrupt a conversation between others." As Kid spoke, the metal utensils on the table on the bar started to rise up and point towards me. Kid is a telekinetic mage.

"Really? This again?" – I gestured to the forks, spoons, and knives – "We both know I can strike you before you strike me, and I know your weak spot."

"Wanna bet on that?" A smirk that would put the devil to shame spread across Kids face as the utensils jutted their sharp ends towards me. It was a silent challenge. If I move, the utensils would move.

I raised your hand about to fire off a command, when suddenly the utensils burst into flowers and it felt like acid struck my palm. I cried out and spun towards the bar where Nami stood, ginger hair puled back into a ponytail and a scowl etched into her face.

"Can you two not? I just broke up a fight between Zoro and Sanji for the umpteenth time! I'm already at my limit and the meeting hasn't even started yet!" She yelled.

Note to self, for the millionth time, never piss off a witch.

Sharing a look with Kid, still holding my pain-stricken palm, I gave a curt nod and we both settled. When it was clear no fighting was going to take place, the flowers turned back to utensils and Nami gave a pleasant smile as she waved me over to the bar.

"What the hell did you do to my palm Nami?"

"Don't start fights in my bar." The ginger witch pulled out a small mason jar filled with a mint green salve and held out her hand. "Give me your palm."

I did as told, and she spread the salve over it. Cool relief spread through my senses and I couldn't help but sigh. "Thanks."

"No problem!"

"That was not necessary (l.n.)-ya." Law finally spoke.

"You know a date with Eustass might not be so bad. I hear he's a good lay." I teased.

"Then why don't you go for him?" Law said indigently. "He swings both ways."

"Nah, not my type."

"Not mine either." Law said.

"Really? Weren't you checking out his ass earlier? I'm here at the bar almost every evening. I've seen all the times you've checked out our fiery telekinetic." Nami smirked at Law as she mixed up my usual.

Law huffed, brows scrunching as he frowned. A small blush tinted his cheeks.

Law was an elemental mage. While he is more on the quiet and reclusive side, he is overall a good guy and makes a decent partner for jobs.

Speaking of...

"Anything of interest Magi-Con?" I asked. Sure, I could wait until the meeting was over and head upstairs to the computer room and library, but conversating and saving Law from more teasing was easier.

"You know that I hardly do jobs and therefore don't care to keep up with them." Nami handed me my Amaretto Sour.

"There was a recent posting about some increase in dark guild activity. I believe the listing mentioned the Black Souls Guild." Law said. "It's unclear what kind of activity it is, but it appears to be magic creature poaching."

I sipped my Amaretto Sour and raised a brow. He has my interest.

"There's a nice payment in taking down a dark guild. Do you already have a team together?" I asked hoping there was room for one more.

He considered me for a moment. His expression emotionless. "You're going to come whether I want you to or not."

It wasn't a question, but a statement.

I smiled and cooed. "You know me so well Law~"