CHAPTER FOUR

edited 2022

𝗠𝗔𝗦𝗢𝗡 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗡𝗗 herself surrounded by what seemed to be the important people. Cassandra, Allie, Will, Campbell, Kelly, Gordie, Clark, Luke, Helena, Harry, and Grizz all stood around her. They stood one by one brainstorming the best explanation to provide the rest of the teenagers.

"Maybe it's a dream," Allie offered, "I mean, that's the best option."

"Maybe this is just some elaborate fucking game," Harry explained after a minute of silence. "Like someone built an exact replica of our town and put it in the middle of nowhere and if we walked, like, this way or that way or anyway-"

"We'll get back to the real world," Mason finished.

Both the Bingham siblings looked around the group, begging for someone to agree with them. Unfortunately, the theory received eye-rolls and silence.

"There was a smell and it went away and came back, then the buses came for us." Cassandra started.

"You just gonna work this out," Campbell scoffed, "Cassandra?"

"This isn't a logic problem," Gordie said, softly so that Cassandra wouldn't be offended by his comment.

Mason rolled her eyes. It was so obvious that he was head over heels for Cassandra. She felt sorry for Gordie, how he'd never be viewed as anything more to her than a friend.

"The world doesn't just turn upside down without a reason." Mason cut in, shifting so she was resting against the railing of the bridge. "We're not in some play-within-a-play."

"Grizz and I will get a group together," Luke said. "We'll go out and hike through the woods. If there are people we have to find them."

"I think that's a good idea," Helena said.

"Do you think it's safe?" Cassandra asked, reading Mason's mind. Anyone that knew Mason would know she was far from okay with Grizz putting himself in danger.

"Yeah, sure." Grizz shrugged. He tried looking at Mason, but she stared at the ground avoiding his gaze.

Luke spoke up before anyone else could, "Grizz knows what he's doing."

"I'm coming," Mason said, "don't tell me otherwise."

"No." Both Grizz and Harry snapped at the same time. Harry's voice was more of a hostile tone, whereas Grizz's had a soft almost broken tone to it.

"Let's go, Harry." Mason snapped, "I'm hungry."

Harry looked over at Kelly, "Let's go. Kelly, get in the car."

"No." Responded Kelly.

"Jesus Christ, just in the car," Harry grumbled taking a step towards her.

"Leave her alone." Will intervened.

"Fuck off, Will." Harry snapped, raising his voice. Mason walked up to her brother, placed a hand on his chest and shoved him towards his car.

. . .

Back at the Bingham's house, Mason walked into her bedroom for the first time since her fight with her Mother. Her hand brushed over her silk bedsheets as she sat on the edge of her bed.

"Please pick up," she whispered finding herself dealing with her moms.

You have reached the phone of Karen Bingham, I'm currently unavailable. Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

"Mom," Mason cried out. "I'm alive, Harry is alive also. I'm so sorry for what I said to you. I didn't mean it. You are my mom, and I love you. Please take me home."