“Goodbye.” I hung up the phone, my hands still shaking, but for a different reason this time. I was going to be in a film with the Beatles! This was every girl’s dream! I phoned up a few friends and told them the good news, and they were all very happy for me. I was so proud I was going to extend my career like this.

  I finally decided on calling Eric and telling him the good news. He wouldn’t be back for a while, and I needed an excuse to call him. I dialed up his current number and the phone rang a few times before he picked up, his slightly-raspy voice clouding up the line as usual.

  “Hello?”

  “Hi.” I couldn’t help smiling, even though Eric couldn’t see it. I was very excited for this gig.

  “Pattie?” He chuckled. “How are you, luv?”

  “Never better, actually.” 

  “Is that ‘cause you’re talking to me?” God, he was so cocky.

  “Well, partly, but…”

  “But…?”

  “I got a gig in a film.”

  There was a second of silence on the other end before Eric decided what he was going to say. “That’s great, dear! Do you know what the film’s about yet?”

  “No, not really. But I play the part of a schoolgirl. It’s the Beatles’ film.”

  “A Beatles film?” I could tell Eric was surprised. “Don’t go leaving me for a Beatle, now!” He laughed.

  I laughed, too, but it was forced.

  “I just wanted to call to let you know how I’m doing,” I smiled.

  “Well, I’m glad to hear from you. I’ll be back in a little over a week, okay luv?”

  “Okay.”

  “I love you.”

  “You too.” I hung up, sighing. For some reason, talking to Eric had made me feel worse about myself. It never seemed like his compliments were genuine. I didn’t really feel comfortable saying ‘I love you’ to him, and although I’d said it before, I wasn’t sure if I loved him. But he was my boyfriend, I had to love him. That’s just how it is. 

  —-

  Eventually, Saturday rolled around. I woke up at about seven thinking I had to get ready, but then I remembered what the man had said. I groaned, knowing that once I was awake I wouldn’t be able to get back to sleep. I was just one of those people.

  I ate a quick breakfast, getting dressed in some of my nicer clothes and putting on a smidge of makeup. Who cares if they had people down at the station to do it for me? I still wanted to look my best in the presence of the Beatles. 

  I made my way down to the station and got there at nine o’clock exactly. It was crazy and hectic; everyone was rushing around and getting ready. But so far, I didn’t see the Beatles.

 I checked in at a table and they sent me to the hair and makeup crew, who barely did anything in my opinion. I was already wearing a bit of eye makeup, and they only added a bit of blush, foundation, and a teeny bit of lip gloss. They didn’t even touch my eyes. The hair crew was just the same; they straightened my already-straight hair and curled up the ends slightly, just as I did on a typical daily basis. I looked like I always did.

  I then changed into my schoolgirl outfit, which wasn’t as horrible as I’d imagined. It was a simple gray sleeveless dress over a long-sleeved white shirt, with a tie. Then under that I’d wear a pair of white tights and the black shoes I’d arrived in. I looked pretty normal, but I figured, hell, they were a movie crew. They knew what they were doing.