Theodore

The kingdom of Eirlys was more lively now that the day had begun. Townspeople of all ages littered the streets trying to complete whatever task they had before the day ended. I smiled as a small group of children ran past me pretending to be King Marcus and his army versus the dragon known as Jeremiah. Whoever was playing the dragon was not going to be happy about the ending.

"Theodore!" a voice called out to me. I turned in the direction the sound came from and noticed a fairly old woman waving at me. While making sure I wasn't in anyone's way, I strutted over to her before giving a polite nod. 

"Good morning, Mrs. Wills." I greeted as she patted my cheek.

"Good morning, young man. It's so good to see you," she responded before hugging me. I used my good arm and wrapped it around her small frame but she instantly knew something was wrong. 

"What happened to your arm?" Mrs. Wills asked while inspecting my arm. I flinched slightly when her hand squeezed my shoulder. She noticed it and slapped my forehead.

"Young man, if you don't get that checked out it'll be the least of your problems." she scolded me and I only shook my head.

"It's fine, I promise. When I was at the castle, I had it patched up before leaving." I reassured her while patting the bandages hidden by my uniform. She sighed while placing her hands on her hips.

"Being Captain of the guard is never boring for you."

"Never." Mrs. Wills chuckled at that before she gave a small gasp in surprise.  

"Wait here a moment. I have something for you," she said before quickly walking into her home. I stood in front of the open door and heard rummaging. 

"You came from the castle? How is the young prince?" she asked from inside. 

"The same as he always is. Mar is still trying to prove himself worthy of being the next king." I responded while trying to see what the woman was doing. 

"That poor child carries so much on his shoulders. It's good that he's trying to make a name of himself besides being known as the 'Miracle Prince'. But do help him realize that he's still got plenty of time before becoming king." she told me as I heard a couple of pots crashing onto the floor. I nodded my head believing she was right.

Prince Marcel Weiss of Eirlys. It's been said that when he was born he died moments after he entered this world. Miraculously, he was brought back to life as if the Gods had shown mercy on his soul. No one knows for sure what had happened, but after he was born, the king and queen banned mirrors from entering the castle. 

"I'll do my best," I said.

"I know you will. Here you are, dear." Mrs. Wills responded as she handed me a leather bag. I instantly realized what it was.

"For your father. We found extra and I believe you could use it to help him," she explained while wrapping my fingers around the small bag. I smiled and used my free hand to squeeze hers.

"Thank you, Mrs. Wills," I said while reaching in my pocket to pay her. She stopped me and shook her head.

"No need, dear. Just go see him," she replied then patted my cheek. I nodded in understanding then bid her farewell and continued on my way.

The house I stayed in was on the outskirts but still in town just for emergencies. It was a small little building that wasn't in the best shape, but it did its job. I looked down at the bag in my hand then headed for the door. Knocking as I opened the door, I walked in quietly.

"Father? I'm home." I called while shutting the door behind me. In the next room, I heard coughing and headed towards it. My father laid in bed in his room and began coughing a bit more once I reached the doorway. 

"Please, rest easy," I told him as I helped him sit up. My father, Kane Glass, smiled as he saw my face then ruffled my hair up. 

"It's good to see you, Theodore," he said in a sick, raspy voice. I moved a few strands of my black hair out of my eyes before sitting on the bed next to him. 

"How are you feeling today?" I asked while pressing the back of my hand to his forehead. He took it away and held my hands in his. 

"I'm doing alright, my boy. But, I think I should ask how are you doing?" Kane stated then gestured with his chin to my injured shoulder. I looked to where he gestured then gave him a cheeky grin. Hiding anything from this man was impossible. 

"It's nothing, just a shoulder injury. Its already patched up." I explained trying to make him less worried about me. He only shook his head with a faint smile on his face. 

"Just because you're Captain now doesn't mean you can be reckless," he replied with a chuckle. I laughed a little myself as I stood up.

"Are you hungry? I can make you something," I asked with my body turned toward the door. 

"Famished," Kane replied so I took my leave to the kitchen and began to make something up. I decided to make a soup that way I could use the medicine that Mrs. Wills gave me and it would be something easy for my father to eat. While I was getting myself organized, I heard him shout something from the other room.

"What caused the injury?" my father asked with the best clear voice he could muster. I gritted my teeth at the question.

"A Fenrir was caught making a scene near the southern side of the kingdom. Marcel and I went to investigate it and managed to scare the beast away." I answered. It was quiet in the other room and I could imagine my father shaking his head.

I finished making the soup as best as I could then slowly brought it to him. As I walked in, I noticed his eyes were half-open as if he was trying his best to stay awake. The few steps I took must have surprised him since he turned in my direction as if I was an intruder.

"It's just me, don't worry. Here, have some," I reassured him while placing the bowl on his lap. Kane relaxed after I spoke and began to eat little by little. I quietly sat there watching him then noticed how skinny he was starting to get and his black hair was gaining gray streaks. His sickness was getting better but his body was being taken away by time and age. It was almost hard to believe this was the same man that I looked up to as a child. The man known as the Unbreakable Glass Knight.

"Something is troubling you, my boy." my father said suddenly. I jumped out of my thoughts then let out a long sigh. 

"I......I don't think I can be the Captain of the guard." I admitted to him. He stopped eating then looked at me with worry before giving a smile. 

"What makes you say that?" he asked. I ran a hand through my hair. 

"I can't do it. The people of Eirlys are being killed by a murderer I can't catch. And he'll keep doing it and there's nothing I can do to stop him. Today, with the beast, I couldn't protect Mar and if - I...." I started explaining with a rushed and fearful tone but I couldn't finish. My father placed a hand on mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze. 

"Is Prince Marcel dead?" he asked. I shook my head.

"Was he injured? Even slightest scratch?"

"....No. Marcel is fine." I answered. 

"Then you are a perfect candidate to be the Captain of the guard. Theodore, you can't save everyone, but the fact that you do your absolute best to protect everyone even if it means you will get hurt is something this kingdom needs. You can protect the prince and you can protect the people if you would only realize that for yourself." he said then patted my shoulder. I looked him in the eyes for a moment as a smile crossed his face.

"Your mother would be so proud of the man you've become." he finished. I returned his smile.

"I hope so."