Dan meets Mark

On our way out of the office I talk non-stop, acting like a London Canary Wharf tour guide. I point out the tallest buildings in the areas. "There's supposed to be a roof top lounge on top of that one," I say pointing to one of the sky scrapers. "My boyfriend works there and he says the view of the city is phenomenal." 

"That would be brilliant but we don't - " 

"It would be brilliant, wouldn't it?" Enthusiasm bursts inside and my phone is instantly out of my handbag and at my ear.  "Mark, I'm out in Canary Wharf with an American colleague. We thought maybe you could get us access to the lounge in your building? Call me back." A prickle of something sizzles inside since he hasn't called or texted since standing me up earlier today, outside the property we were supposed to be viewing. 

"No. No. No. No. No" Dan shakes his head. "You don't have to rope your boyfriend in." 

"He won't mind."

"Are you sure?"

"He owes me one." 

"Really?" Dan raises an eyebrow. "Why?"

Something wants to tell him all about the offer I've made on the dream house. And that Mark should have been with me. But he wasn't.  My phone vibrates in my hand and Mark's name flashes on the screen. "Hey?" I say. "Can you get us in?"

"I made a few phone calls and I'll see you in the foyer. " He hangs up without even the mention of standing me up.

"I guess we're going." I clap my hands together. "If we head to Mark's work, he'll take us up to the lounge but he always works really late so I doubt he'll crash our drinks." 

"I don't mind if he hangs round, the more the merrier," Dan says. "How long have you been together?" 

"For years."

"Is he the reason you need to go to the engravers? Are you guys getting married and you're getting your wedding rings?" 

"You're back on that?" I say. 

"You think I've forgotten about our one drink limit?" 

"I guess since we're going to the Sky Lounge maybe I could go tomorrow."

"Hmmm so it's not urgent. But definitely not something engraved for Mark."

"I'm not getting anything engraved for Mark. Not even a pocket watch." 

"So you're not serious about him then?"

"Because I haven't gotten him anything engraved?"

"Yeah. I guess."

"We're serious. Of course we're serious. We're not engaged but we will be soonish. We're supposedly buying a place together," I shrug my shoulders. 

"Supposedly?"

"I've found this place for us but..."

"But what?"

"Oh it's nothing." I shake my head, push the whole episode from my mind. 

"Don't scare him off," Dan eventually says.  

"I shouldn't be since..." it's part of our plan.  But I don't finish the sentence. A stab of something ripples round my body.  "He's turning thirty soon so..." I say as we approach the impressive entrance to Mark's building. 

"So...?" Dan replies as we enter the building through a large revolving doorway and step into a cavernous foyer. The environment feels festive where bright lights reflect off the shiny modern furnishings. There are black leather sofas, sleek and elegant, scattered around the foyer. Slick polished looking people stride from one end of the foyer to the other.