Chapter 8

"You sure this is what you want? Typically you request just the opposite. Once it's done, it's done" Sheriff Baldwin told him.

"I'm sure. Assign him to me, it's time I took on a partner" Tim replied.

Standing in the doorway Tim listened as the sheriff doled out the assignments.

"You did it, didn't you" she asked.

"Did what" he replied.

"Adam, you requested him, right" she continued.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I do field training, there's no such thing as permanent assignments with FTOs" he reminded her.

"Yeah, ok but even Tonto needed a sidekick" she chuckled as the Sheriff advised Adam he was assigned to Tim.

"And you're a terrible liar" she laughed squeezing his hand. "Take care of him, he looks up to you"

Tim shook his head as he walked away. She knew him all too well, knew he'd become attached to the young recruit who was so much like him.

"So I guess you're stuck with me" Adam told Tim throwing his gear in the back of the patrol car.

"Looks that way" Tim replied getting in the passenger seat.

"What..what are you doing" Adam asked as Tim never sat shotgun.

"Today you drive" Tim told him putting on his seat belt.

"You sure about this?" Adam asked, hesitating to get in.

"Don't make me change my mind, Boy. Get in" Tim advised.

The duration of the shift was routine, a few traffic stops, assisting drivers with disabled vehicles, nothing out of the ordinary. Once back at the station Adam approached the desk to hand in the car keys where Miss Suzy was checking the others in.

"How was your day Adam" she asked with a suspicious smile.

"Fine?" he replied as a question handing her the keys.

"Good" she merely replied taking the keys and logging their return.

"Ma'am, is there something I should know" he asked unsure of her demeanor.

"No..no..nothing at all just wondering how your day was as a full fledge member of this department" she smiled placing the keys on the holder.

****
Adam sat at the local bar sipping his beer lost in his thoughts, "Just what did she mean asking me how my shift was?" he thought to himself not noticing the man that sat beside him.

"What ya drinking, son" asked the older voice.

Quickly turning he immediately placed his beer on the bar, "Sir...uh, Sheriff sir" he stammered before standing.

The older man chuckled, motioning to the bartender for his usual and another beer for Adam.

"Relax, kid...sit back down" he advised as their drinks arrived.

"Yes sir" he nervously replied.

"And stop calling me sir, at least off duty" the sheriff advised.

"Sorry sir, but I was raised to show respect" Adam replied sliding his drink closer.

"I appreciate that, really I do but I'm not a demanding respect kind of man. I expect it on the job, yes..but on your own time call me Bob, ya got it" the sheriff advised sipping his beer.

"As you wish, sir...I mean Bob" Adam replied taking a large gulp of his drink.

The sheriff chuckled lightly, "so how was your first day as a non recruit".

"You're the second person to ask me that today" he replied.

"Really?" he answered.

"Miss Suzy asked when I turned in the keys. Is there something I should know? Seems odd that you both asked me that" he stated.

"Miss Suzy, well she is very protective of all you guys" he smiled before motioning to the bartender for another round. "She's like, how should I say this, a Mother Hen, if you know what I mean"

"Ok, I got that feeling since day one..but...you asked the same" Adam replied finishing his drink.

"Son, I look out for all my men too. I ask because I want to validate decisions and choices I make" the sheriff replied.

"With all due respect Sheriff, are you questioning if placing me with Tim was the right decision" Adam asked.

"Let me tell you a bit about your partner. He's been with this department nearly fifteen years. He's seen alot, dealt with a lot in a community he grew up in. He takes his job seriously, lives by the oath to protect and serve. And when he asked for you as a partner..." he stated before taking another drink from his glass.

"He asked for me? Why? To be honest I thought he didn't like me" Adam told him.

"Tim has always been an FTO only, never took on a partner, always a loner, never wanted to be responsible for anyone else - as he puts it. But he sees something in you he's never seen in anyone else. Though he'll deny it to his death that he made such a request " the sheriff told him.

"Tell me more about my partner" Adam asked