Chapter 7

The eight weeks of field training had finally come to an end and permanent assignment would be handed out at this mornings roll call. Placing everything in his gear bag, Chance grabbed his keys and head out the door. Unsure of where he would be placed or with who, he decided whatever happens would be exactly where he was meant to be. Each recruit had been advised early on that if they had a particular area of interest or location they should submit the proper transfer request as soon as possible for consideration after field training. He never put in that request.

"Good morning, Adam" Ms. Suzy greeted as he walked into the break room.

"Morning, ma'am" he replied pouring his coffee.

"Boy, how many times have I told you to call me Suzy. Ma'am makes me feel old" she kidded shaking her finger at him.

"Sorry, ma'am, I mean Suzy. It's just the way I was raised. I'll try from now on, that is if I stay here" he told her as he pulled out her chair for her.

"What do you mean if you stay here, where else would you be going. Did you ask for a different station?" she asked sitting down.

He sat down across from her, staring into his cup. "No, I mean I thought about it...I even contemplated asking for a different FTO at one point..I felt like I just couldn't measure up to what Tim wanted, ya know. But that's all changed, I've learned alot, alot about the job and myself. But, I know I've been kind of a thorn in his side at times. Who knows, maybe he requested a transfer for me" he confided, still staring into his cup.

Suzy placed her hand on his, "Sweetie, you've got nothing to worry about, everything will be just fine" she assured him.

"I wish I had your confidence" he replied before finally drinking his coffee.

Tim stood just outside the breakroom, out of sight from either of them. He overheard their conversation and also wondered what the assignments would be. "Time for a little detective work Foust" he told himself as he head towards the Sheriff's office.