Chapter 2: Murder and Chocolate Chip Cookies

The sun is just rising when the girl walks through the door of the agency looking like she just got hit by a truck. Well that may be a bit of an understatement, but it makes me less self-conscious of the state of disorder around my desk by the window. Papers and books are haphazardly stacked on the desk, only making space for a tray of cookies teetering precariously on its edge. The filing cabinet and bookshelf behind the desk are stacked with various knick-knacks and magical items, and the only clear space in this glorified closet I call an office is the rolling chair where clients usually sit.

Back to the girl, she and I regard each-other for a moment. I can tell she's taking in my tan skin, piercings, and bleach blond hair up in a bun (secured by a hairclip shaped like a flower) all paired with my coat that looks straight from a noir detective film. I know what sort of impression I give, but I hope it doesn't scare her off. She looks like she's got a story to tell.

She's wearing a dark blue dress and simple flats; like something a shy girl would wear to senior prom, though she looks to be a bit out of high school. The effect is ruined, however, by the dirt and grass stains on her clothing. Her hair is long and ratty, the fringe falling over her right eye, the skin underneath it unnaturally pale. Her expression is blank, she's trying to look composed, but I can tell from the redness under her eye that she's been crying. She's holding a book and a folded newspaper in one hand. As recognize the newspaper as the one where I advertise the agency, and the side of my mouth curls up into a smirk. I knew the ad would have to work eventually!

She raises an eyebrow at me, and I realize I have yet to invite her in. That probably isn't helping with the whole "first impressions" thing. Better late than never I suppose. I stand up from my chair.

I give the kindest smile I can this early in the morning and say, "Welcome to the Marigold Detective Agency! Would you like to take a seat?"

The girl gives me a deadpan look, more than a little forced, but pulls out the rolling char and flops into it. "Rough night?" I ask.

She sighs, placing the newspaper and book on the desk. "Rough week more like." I glance over the article she points to on the newspaper, then lift it so I can see the book beneath. Instead of letting my draw drop, I simply let out a low whistle.

"That's- that's quite something that." I glance up to look at the girl, Ashley Escamilla apparently. "Where'd you manage to get a copy of this?" Her face has become an impassive mask. I get it, she doesn't trust me yet.

"Found it near my desecrated grave after waking up with only one eye." She lifts of her fringe, and sure enough, nothing but a black void where her eye should be. The shock I should probably be feeling is replaced by a burning curiosity. This keeps getting more and more complex doesn't it? I can feel the theories building up in the back of my brain, but now is not the time.

"This is all very fascinating," I say, leaning back in my chair, "and I'd love to help you find out who did... this," I gesture vaguely at her, "but I don't work for free. I've gotta pay rent and all that." Her poker face is beginning to crack, and I get the feeling she's about to cry, so I quickly interrupt. "But, I suppose we could work something out. How about this book as payment?" I say, tapping the cover of Raising the Dead for Fun and Profit.

She gives me an incredulous look, like she's looking for a catch, but there is none. I care a lot less about getting paid than I do about finding interesting mysteries, and I've been told I undercharge. She finally sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose as if to ward off an oncoming headache. "Alright, that's... fine I guess."

I take the book and place it into a drawer in my desk, then lock it. Meeting eyes with the girl, I smile, "It's a pleasure to be working with you. I'm Juniper Marigold, but you can just call me June." I hold out my hand, and, after a moment's hesitation she shakes it. "So what can you tell me about the case?" I ask. She sucks in a breath, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, then starts her story.