PROLOGUE

On the latest news segment, the Business World Insider Reporter Leslie Walker sat along with Robert Livingston, multimillionaire and CEO of Livingston Enterprises.

Leslie didn't hold back. Being the only woman working for the company, her fans respected her blunt and bold statements. "Some would argue that Livingston Enterprises is nothing more than an umbrella company, bad for the economy...taking from the poor and giving to the rich. How do you respond?"

Robert Livingston was an older white man who looked good for his age. No grey hair or wrinkles. He was muscular and appeared in shape thanks to a few fat transfers and liposuction. "I would disagree. I care about the economy. My business works side-by-side with data and we forecast what the future could be. Numbers don't lie."

Leslie let him have it as she tucked her hair behind her ear and read from an index card. "In the history of America, large donations are nothing more than tax write-offs. If you weren't in the business world, what else do you think you'd be doing?"

Robert pondered though he already knew the answer. "There are many talents I have hidden away. You all know me as a businessman but there are dreams and goals that I passed up to be in the position I'm in. I'm a natural-born leader and serving the American people has always been a dream of mine."

"Is this an exclusive? Would you run for office?"

"You said it, not me." Robert grinned. "If America would have me."

"I want to come back to this political exclusive in a moment but let's switch gears, if you were to step down, we're assuming your son, Austin Livingston, would be your successor?"

Robert chuckled. "You'll know when I do."

Leslie replied, "Speaking of your son, who is dating Ariel Efron, daughter of Jonathan Efron Sr.. We were told that your son was spotted at a high-end jewelry store shopping for rings. Are wedding bells in the air?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"The Efron family, headed by patriarch Jonathan Efron Sr., is arguably one of the most respected law families on the East Coast. How would a union of the two families affect Livingston Enterprises?"

Robert wanted to avoid the question but she had him right where she wanted him. "Quite frankly, I don't think it would change a thing. Look, Ariel is a nice girl but my son can do better." He added. "Let's just say the Efron family is not as squeaky clean as people think."

"What do you mean by that?"

Robert leaned back in the chair. He knew what he was doing. That the exact segment would be replayed over and over and his social media feeds would skyrocket with exposure. "Exactly what I said. Some people just know how to fly under the radar."

Shortly after, the cameras were cut, the segment ended and a commercial break rolled. Leslie was just as curious as her viewers and knew she had her work for the evening cut out. She wanted to know what Robert meant. After work, Leslie left the station. Between Mother's Day and Memorial Day around the corner, she couldn't wait for a much-needed vacation.

It didn't take long to arrive at her apartment in downtown DC. There she hoped to fall into her boyfriend, Kit Edward's, arms and go to sleep. But after she entered it was clear that something had happened. The place was ransacked like a thief in the night entered looking for a pot of gold. But what she saw instead terrified her. Kit was face down on the ground in the kitchen. His eyes were open and he didn't have a pulse. The pool of blood wasn't the worst part. It was the gashes across his neck and wrists.

The sight took her breath away. Kit wasn't suicidal, she was being framed and when a Reporter and a Journalist fell in love they both craved digging deeper and finding the truth. When Kit called during lunch telling her he had the story of a lifetime, she didn't believe him. They were supposed to discuss it over dinner. And some thought their careers weren't dangerous. But they knew better. Luckily, their untimely deaths were something they prepared for together. They had go-bags hidden around the city.

From the looks of the apartment, it was clear to her that the intruder, who also killed Kit, was looking for something. Something they didn't find. She quickly exited back out. Instead of calling an Uber, she waved down a cab, paid cash, and was taken to Union Station. Once she arrived she retrieved her go-bag from the monthly locker she rented. From there she caught a train from Union Station to DCA. At the airport, from her go-bag, Leslie removed a Passport for her alias, Piper Simpson, and purchased a one-way ticket far away.

Back at HQ, Agent Rivers and Taylor had their hands full. The accusations made by Robert Livingston about Jonathan Efron Sr. had the attention of not just news watchers but several government agencies. Specifically ICE and USCIS. They had already received a tip about a green card marriage case that may have slipped through the cracks. They just needed proof and motive to pursue it. They knew that the number of crimes and agencies hoping to take down Robert Livingston that he wasn't one to talk but a win was a win.

ICE and USCIS were desperate. They wanted to beat the other agencies at bringing down the bad guys. But they now had more than what they thought were silly rumors.

"Robert Livingston's saving his ass. That was the signal." Agent Rivers said, "He kept his deal, we'll keep ours."

"I need you to put someone on this case who can't be turned. Airtight." Agent Taylor agreed. "The information, the contents in this folder, if true, you're talking about taking down one of the most powerful families in the country." Then handed the folder to Agent Rivers.

Agent Rivers only skimmed through the file and was already impressed. "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph."