Chapter 4

Tina rushes into the other room to find Newt, she doesn't want Newt to even step foot in that room with Grindelwald, it doesn't even make sense. Why would the darkest wizard of their time want to speak to Newt? What would he gain? Then again, he knows that Newt was able to calm Credence, he knows that Credence trusts Newt right now, which means if he gets to Newt he gets to Credence.

The President is already talking in hushed voices with both Queenie and Newt, Tina rushes in, unsure what to do. She knows that Newt can take care of himself, but that doesn't cause her any less fear.

"Madam President, I don't think it's a good idea for Newt to go in there." Tina blurts, they all turn to her, and Newt sends her a small smile, he looks nervous, but determined.

"We've already decided Ms. Goldstein, Mr. Scamander has agreed to speak with Grindelwald to figure out where Mr. Graves is, under the condition that an Auror be outside at all times should he need assistance." Picquery states, and Tina pales.

Queenie is looking the same, and even the President has a nervous energy about her, Tina focuses on Newt though.

"Newt, you know you don't have to do this right?" Tina speaks softly, and Newt nods with a grim look.

"I know, but if he won't speak to anyone else, then Tina I have to at least try." Newt has a determined look, but he also looks so small, like he really doesn't think this is a good idea.

"There better be an Auror outside at all times." Queenie declares, eyes hard and looking annoyed.

The President nods, but doesn't comment on Queenie's behavior.

_____________

Gellert beams when Newton walks in, so it worked, they're really desperate to find their Director of Magical Security, so much so that they would send in an untrained wizard to interrogate him. This is going to be to easy, by the time he escapes custody Credence will follow Newton to him, all Gellert has to do is promise to protect Newton's creatures and Newton will do anything, including joining Gellert's cause.

Newton walks with his shoulders hunched and his head bowed, he rings his hands nervously and Gellert wonders fleetingly why he's so nervous, it's not as though Gellert can do anything to hurt him, or anyone else in the building, at least not yet.

"Ah, Newton, I was waiting for you." Gellert drawls, and Newton briefly makes eye contact with him, blue eyes locking with Gellert's mismatched ones. He looks a bit surprised and Gellert has a feeling that no one calls him 'Newton'.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting." Newton replies with a frown, as he sits across from Gellert. "Just Newt will do if you don't mind Mr. Grindelwald." He makes eye contact and doesn't look away.

Gellert smiles, and Newt frowns at him. Gellert wishes he was able to do magic, that way he could figure out what Newton is thinking.

"Then I insist you call me Gellert." Newton's eyes widen, and he stares at Gellert in confusion.

"Mr. Grindelwald," Gellert gives him a pointed look, and Newton shifts uncomfortably. "Er Gellert, I'm not sure why you wanted to speak just to me, but maybe you could explain why." Newton's eyes are hard, and confused.

"Well, Newton. Those Auror's are awfully boring, they are too cautious around me, and they're easy to persuade. I wanted a different person, and it just so happened you were around." Gellert shrugs, Newton looks like he knows better, but he drops the question, too worried about the real Graves.

"Can you tell me where the real Mr. Graves is?" Newton questions, eyes turning soft with worry.

"Ah, so that's why you came to speak with me." Gellert drawls, mocking hurt he continues. "And here I thought you just wanted to see me." Newton frowns.

"How did you manage to kidnap the real Mr. Graves anyways, and how did you impersonate him?" Newton pries, Gellert smiles.

"Well, kidnapping him was easy. All I had to do was say that I had his sister, demanding that he meet me at a certain place in order for her to be released, then I knocked him out before he could realize it was a trap." Gellert watches Newton closely and can see the anger in his face at the mention of tricking him. "As for impersonating him, I used Transfiguration, although I'm sure you already knew that Newton." Newton frowns.

"Yes I knew that, so how did you manage to get Mr. Graves to agree to give you information." Newton asks, and Gellert smiles. He doesn't think Newton will like this.

"Oh I didn't get him to agree to anything. I used the Cruciatus Curse, makes any person agreeable." Gellert states offhandedly. Newton's expression changes immediately, it turns into one of rage, of immense pain.

"How many times?" Newton snarls, and Gellert blinks in surprise, Newton didn't look like he was the type to make those expressions, or be anything but kind.

"I didn't count. Honestly, I'm not mad am I?" Gellert laughs, but Newton's expression doesn't change, and Gellert sighs. "Every time I needed information on MACUSA, or a certain person, so quite often." Gellert answers, and Newton pales.

"That would be at least every day or so." Newton states, but then he furrows his brow. 

"Very smart indeed." Gellert smirks, Newton doesn't look convinced, but Gellert's expression doesn't change.

"How about you tell me where the real Graves is?" Newton requests carefully watching Gellert, and Gellert raises an eyebrow.

"That wouldn't be fun at all would it?" Gellert purrs, and Newton frowns at him, Newton gets up and it's Gellert's turn to frown.

"Then, I guess there's no point on me staying. Thank you for your time Grindelwald." Newton dips his head in politeness, but Gellert's eyes narrow, he dropped the Mister. Gellert watches as Newton turns and leaves the office, and frowns harder.

"In a safe house, down by the docks." Gellert calls after Newton, and Newton stops dead, turns slowly and watches Gellert carefully. "MIN Trading Company, that's where you'll find Graves." Gellert mutters, and Newton's expression hardens.

"Are you lying to me Gellert?" Newton inquires turning around to face him fully, and Gellert raises an eyebrow.

"I would never." Gellert grins mischievously, and Newton smiles, a small one but still a smile,  and then turns around and walks out. Gellert didn't want him to leave, and he hadn't been expecting Newton to leave, he sighs and allows the Aurors to drag him back to his cell, without much protest.