Cordelia sat back down beside Elizabeth and grabbed her tightly. "Lizzie, you must swear to never tell a soul what I've been telling you here today." When her friend nodded and assured her she would be as silent as the grave, she continued. "I love Charles, I think I always will, but a match with William makes more sense. It makes everybody happy, besides..."

     "I cannot believe what I am hearing. Cordelia Gardiner, have you no sense? What of your own happiness!" Elizabeth shook her head, perplexed. 

     "You're not listening, I am happy, just not in love," Cordelia said

     "There's no such thing," Elizabeth said, as stubborn as she's always been.

    "Elizabeth Norton, I am happier than most, and more fortunate too. I have not a single reason to complain about my current state of affairs. Now, there is a wedding to plan. Tell me, will I have my best friend in this entire world as my maid of honor or no?" Elizabeth began to smile, and before they knew it, the two girls were giggling and shouting out wedding plans for the rest of the afternoon.

________________________________________________________________________________

The Night of the Engagement Party

     "Thank you for coming," Cordelia was saying for the millionth time. Her father, William, and his own parents were standing at the entrance to Loddington Lodge greeting guests as they were arriving for her engagement party. She was beginning to think she would die of boredom when she felt someone come close to her ear. 

     "Have I told you how beautiful you look this evening?" William asked, causing Cordelia to burst into laughter.

     "Yes, I believe you have a couple of times," she said, feeling a blush creep up her neck.

     "Then am I permitted to tell you once more?" He grabbed her hand and kissed it, never taking his eyes off of her. "In just a few moments, the last of the guests will arrive and we will finally be permitted to dance," he said gleefully. It was practically impossible not to smile whenever William smiled. It was one of the things Cordelia admired most about him.

     "Lord and Lady Heyworth, and their son," the butler announced to all four of them that were lining the entryway. With William still holding a grip on her hand, Cordelia felt her entire body tense. Which son? she thought to herself, though she wasn't sure which answer she was dreading the most. Before she had any time to process, the familiar faces of the Heyworth's appeared before her. 

     "Ah, Lady Cordelia," Lady Heyworth began, "our most sincere congratulations to you on your engagement. I must say, though, we were a little miffed you hadn't taken to our own Malcolm. Or even Charles! You remember Charles, don't you dear? Charlie, where did you run off to?" As she turned to look for her youngest son, Cordelia began to shake. "Charlie?" Lady Heyworth called out. 

     Behind her, a head of ruffled brown hair turned around to face their conversation, and Cordelia could hear her heart beating so loudly she was sure the entire room could hear.

     "Hello, Lady Gardiner. Congratulations," he said as he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek, she noticed how strained his face looked, and she was sure that hers looked the same. 

     "Lord Charles, a pleasure to see you again," she said courteously. She was trying to sound calm and pleasant but her voice came out clipped and shakey. As he pulled away from the kiss, he turned to whisper in her ear. 

     "Find me sometime tonight," he whispered. Quickly, he leaned close enough so that she could feel his lips on her ear as he added, a "please" so tender it practically broke her heart.