The door suddenly chimes, causing me to roll me eyes as I stack books on the shelves. I was just about to close the damn store.

"We're just about to close!" I shout from the shelf, not bothering to look at the door.

I don't receive any answer from the unknown customer. I furrow my brows as I hear them walk towards me.

"Hello? We're closed." I repeat, feeling my stomach tense in worry.

I feel panic rise within me when the footsteps come around the shelf I was standing in front of.

"Did I scare you?" a familiar face appears from around the shelf. I take a breath of relief.

"Don't do that, Cody." I snicker.

I met Cody a few months ago here at the library. He came in one day, with his neatly styled black hair and brown eyes. I remember what he was wearing as well, a plaid button up and dark jeans. He asked me for my opinion on a certain book and then proceeded to ask for my number.

We've been together for 3 months.

"Came to take you home, babe." he says, picking me up in his arms and making me laugh.

"I told you, you can't spend the night tonight." I say. I wanted to be alone tonight, mostly because of the significance of this specific date.

He purses his lips and knits his brows together. "Is it a crime for me to drive my girlfriend home?" he remarks.

I roll my eyes but let out a breathy chuckle. "Give me five minutes." I peck his cheek quickly before rushing to the break room.

When Cody parks his car in front of my building, I quickly collect my things.

"Thanks for driving me." I say.

"Of course." he smiles, then looks at me. "Come here." he says, gently touching the back of my head and guiding my head to his.

He pushes his lips against mine. I shut my eyes as our mouths connect softly.

I pull away and smile before hopping out of his car. "Bye." I wave.

He waves in return before reversing out of his stall and driving out of the parking lot.

I took a long, hot shower. My mind was diving down to the darkest of places, thinking about the events that occurred exactly a year ago.

The last time I saw him was on the staircase. I should've stayed. I shouldn't have listened to him and ran.

Now, looking back, I remember the look in his eyes. His mouth was telling me he'd meet me at the bottom, but his eyes said something completely different that I didn't realize before.

His eyes said 'sorry' and 'goodbye' because he knew he wasn't going to make it out of that building.

Did he even try to make it down the elevator? Or did he just sit somewhere and wait for the building to collapse around him?

I turn off the water and grab my towel to wrap around my body before stepping out onto the bath mat.

I wipe the condensation off of the mirror and take a step back, looking at myself in the reflective glass.