part thirteen - kids we used to know (finale)

Start from the beginning

Tom and his friends met up at the bar, parking their cars in one of the lots down the street. They all reunited, exchanging hugs and greetings before they started walking down the sidewalk. Already, it was like they had never left each other, but their busy work lives made it seem like it had been years since they last saw the other. As they came up to the old bar, Tom furrowed his eyebrows when he saw someone standing outside the door. Although he only saw the hair and somewhat of a profile, he felt himself freeze up and suddenly wonder what he would say to you.

"..It's not her."

Tom nodded, "What?"

"It's not Y/N. No worries." His friend said to him, both of them watching the girl turn around and it wasn't.

Tom raised his eyebrow, "I didn't think it was."

His friend nodded before the two of them followed in with the other guys and immediately, they were confused as to what they were walking into. Tom was surprised to find out the bar he'd always go to with his college baseball team had been re-owned and turned around, shining a new name above the bar. It went from a sports bar to a modern one, the walls stripped of the college's accomplishments and memorabilia and put on blown up framed photographs while the ceilings had lights with low lighting and a fresh wooden furnish you could still smell how new it was.

The four guys went on about how different it was, missing the old days as if they were veterans as they sipped their favorites beers and caught up with one another. As much as Tom didn't like the new setting of the bar, he thought it was less of a reminder of you and how this was the first place you guys hung out beside the library. He smiled to himself, not even paying attention to the conversation as he remembered when you met at the party and how embarrassed he was after.

"Aye!"

Tom lifted his head, widening his eyes a bit but saw his friends chuckling at him.

"You okay, Tommy?" One of them asked, nudging him.

Tom shook his head, "Yeah, yeah. Just looking around."

"When life was easier and you weren't on the Dodgers." The other teased him and they all chuckled together.

Tom smirked, "I hope you guys never change."

He took the last sip of his beer, placing it back on the table before he turned his head to the bar while contemplating getting another one. Tom bit the inside of his lip, tapping his foot and didn't know if he was trying to get buzzed from how clouded his thoughts had been from thinking about you so much. Tom let out a long breath through his nose before he placed his hands on the table.

"I'm gonna get another drink, anyone else want anything?"

They all nodded, almost hoping they'd keep him long enough that he'd change his mind, but he went anyway and walked through the few people standing by the high tables.

Tom stood at the bar, leaning against it and he realized along with a new bar came new faces. He was so used to running into someone or even bumping into them on the way there, but it was full of younger-looking people and more guys who looked like business majors and not on the football team. His lips went to the side before he turned his head to try to get the bartender's attention, a part of him wanting to leave and suggest going to the batting cages or drive out at the old field with a twelve pack.

You were on the other side of the bar, sitting across from Haley and Annabella and they were boasting about their trip to Iceland, talking about how spontaneous it was and a great way to spend the summer. All it did was make you remember your summer, thinking about those fireworks and butterflies, but suddenly it was yelling, shouting and ended one of the best things given to you.