part three - the norman rockwell family

"What should I wear my fake boyfriend's family dinner?" was a bundle of words you would never thought you'd have to think about yet here you were: waiting for Tom and wearing your best dress while your stomach tied in knots, over-thinking about what could happen tonight.

You already contemplated so many times about bolting back up to the apartment, changing completely and coming back downstairs with time to spare, but your thoughts came to a halt when Tom's car pulled up to the curb.

The first thing you saw when Tom got out of the car was his smile. It was reliving that from first glance, he already approved of your outfit that you were so nervous about. He was wearing a white shirt and a light-blue button down that he left open, his hair somewhat gelled and you could tell he got a fresh cut.

"You look amazing." He continued to smile at you, admiring your dress.

"Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself, stud." You teased before you both embraced a quick hug.

You couldn't help but smile at the sudden smell of his cologne. The scent was so refreshing, almost comforting and familiar so it kind of calmed your nerves. You'd spent so much time together that the smell just kind of lingered on your clothes sometimes. You couldn't say that you didn't mind.

When you pulled away, you looked up at his hair and you pushed some hairs lying on his forehead back on top of his head.

"You cut it?" You asked and he shrugged.

"Yeah, my parents always say something when it gets too long."

"Aw, I like it long. It makes you even dreamier." You joked again and Tom chuckled.

"Alright, smartiepants. Let's get on the road." He grinned and you rolled your eyes.

Tom walked to the passenger door, opening it for you, but you were surprised to see a bouquet sitting on the seat. It was a random assortment but predominantly your favorite flowers popping out. You glanced at Tom before you gently grabbed them, holding them in your hands.

"For me?" You asked, smelling them.

"Yeah. Well, I got them for my sister, but she said you would probably like them more." He smiled before pinning his lips, watching you continue to smell them.

You giggled, "Hmm.. well, I can't wait to thank her."

When you looked up at Tom, he saw how perfectly the sun perfectly kissed the horizon behind you. It was like a painted picture or something you would frame, but he knew he would never admit that to you, at least not right now.

After you got in the passenger seat, he closed the door for you and quickly walked around the front of the car to get to the driver seat. The ride to his parent's house was a little under an hour so that just meant fifty great minutes of classic rock and somewhat letting all your nerves out before the big dinner.

Whenever you got halfway through the roadtrip, Tom put his arm on the rest between you and you laid yours there as well. A few times, while Tom was singing a song you didn't know, you kept glancing down at his hand and you weren't sure why at first. You wanted to intertwine your fingers with his, holding it and seeing if it was as warm and comforting as the smell of his cologne. Would this prove if you had actual feelings for him?

"Y/N?" Tom asked for a third time before you shook your head.

"Hmm?" You answered, as if you weren't completely distracted.

He chuckled, "I asked if you were alright. You zoned out."

"Oh yeah, I'm okay. Just nervous." You kind of lied, directing your eyes out the window and looking how dark it had already gotten.