part eleven - call you mine

Tom was up all night after that kiss, thinking about it, already wanting to kiss you again. You were no better, tossing and turning in your sheets with a big smile on your face. Even though there wasn't a label on it, you two were just happy to be able to express how you felt about each other with no one else in the way.

The morning sun peeked through the thin, white curtains covering the balcony window doors, naturally lit up the room and woke you up. You blinked your eyes a few times, thinking that the kiss was merely a dream, but you still felt the tingling in your lips. You thought the corners of your mouth would be sore from how much you smiled before you fell asleep.

After you brushed your teeth, you headed downstairs and heard the sound of the TV get louder the closer you got to the stairs. Once you got to the bottom of them, you saw ESPN was on the screen, showing the highlights from last week's Cubs game, but no one else seemed to be around. You furrowed your eyebrows, turning your head as you looked around to search for anyone until Tom appeared from the kitchen. He was holding his bowl of cereal in one hand while the other held his spoon, dipping it in for a mouthful of cheerios.

"Morning." You say, startling Tom a bit.

He smiled when he saw you, "Oh, hey. I didn't hear you."

"It's okay." You grinned, walking up to him.

He put his bowl of cereal on the counter, wiping his hands on his shirt, "Um, do you want something to eat?"

"Depends, what do you have?" You giggled, sitting at one of the kitchen counter chairs.

"Eggs, bacon, I think we still have some potatoes for home fries."

"Wow, it really is like a bed and breakfast here. All for me." You jeered, placing your balled up hands under your chin and your elbows against the counter.

Tom smiled while he took the ingredients out of the fridge, placing them on the counter next to the stove. You turned your head over your shoulder, looking around and no one was still in sight or heard.

"Where is everyone? I can't imagine a family of seven people and a dog are this quiet." You joked, crossing your legs.

Tom was squatted on the ground to get the pans in the stove's drawer, "Um, my dad and brothers went fishing and my mom took Hazel to the doctor because she woke up with a fever this morning."

You pouted, "Aw, poor thing."

Tom set one of the pans on the stovetop, "Yeah, but it's probably just a summer cold. She usually gets sick at the beginning of June and tries to convince us she's not until we're all bed-ridden and throwing up."

You both chuckled, but you hummed, "Eh, she's a little stubborn, but I think I know who inspires her."

Tom took one of the hand towels hanging on the stove's handle, balling it up in his hand before he turned around and threw it at you. You caught it, making Tom smirk and you both laughed at how you were acting like kids.

"See? You're a natural... or you just learned from the best?" Tom pointed to himself and you rolled your eyes.

"You're such a dork."

"For you? Always." He winked, turning back around to start cooking the eggs.

You smiled but it slowly faded, your glassy eyes fixating on just his backside and how wide his tense shoulders were as well as how slim his waist was as compared to the rest of his build. You quickly tried to get the image of him shirtless out of your head, but you kept wandering back to it until he turned around. Suddenly, you were staring into nothing and when Tom turned around, he saw how dazed you were which made him trail a chuckle.