Chapter 4

TALON'S P.O.V

'Bye!!' I watch as my dad drives out of the school lot with my mum and sister waving at me widely from the back seat with tears in both their eyes. I wave back , I miss them so much already.

Turning back to face the school, I left one of my carry-ons over my shoulder ,sling my backpack over the other shoulder and drag my biggest trunk with me towards the direction of the hostel.

Our school has the look of your typical ancient looking private school with its brick walls, ancient looking inspirational quotes framed on its walls, teachers in dapper looking suits or slim fitted gowns and students in their tidy uniforms... well most of them anyway .

The hostel is a three storey building with the boys dormitory on the left and the girls on the right, the common room cafeteria and dining area are are located in the middle of the hostel. They are supposed to be the only areas where both sexes can meet and interact.

I greet a few people and reply lots of greetings tossed my way by classmates and juniors. I'm a senior this year , next year I'll be off to college.

I push open the the door to the hostel and I notice a lot of students sitting and chatting with friends, most probably narrating their summer adventures.

I drop my bags near a chair and walk towards the school secretary who is seated at a makeshift chair and desk surrounded by piles of paper work. She looks up as I approach and her lips tip up in a smile.

'Talon! Thank goodness you're here, these kids have been driving me crazy, but really it's the guys'.

'I bet the girls are just as annoying ' I respond teasingly.

'At least I I learn the latest fashion trends and hottest male stars from the girls but all the boys know and talk about is about banging some girl and who made touchdown for some dumb sport'. She responds while checking through a list of names on her desktop screen. She writes my locker number, room number and roommates names on a piece of chewing gum wrapper and hands it to me.'sorry ,the man supposed to bring the papers is running late '

' No problem '. I scan through the list heading back to my stuff. I take my bags and head for my room. It is at the extreme end and topmost floor of the hostel to the right. And from what I heard the view from there is pretty dope. Definitely one of the major perks of being a prefect and a nominee for this year's class presidency.

I dump my bags on the floor and search the room for the best bed. After deciding ,I look around to see piles of dust and a few cobwebs in the room corners. Okay, this place needs some cleaning.

################################

A little less than hour later, I'm done cleaning and I head out to see if there is any other thing I need to do.

Reaching the secretary, Miss Minerva's desk, I knock gently on her table to get her attention. The a long queue of students in front of her waiting to get their details. She hands the student in front of her a rumpled piece of paper with things scribbled on it. She turns to face me, releasing a deep breath on noticing who it is.

'Finally, you're here, was the room that bad'. Standing, she grabs a big box and drops it into my unexpecting arms. It almost hits the floor before I grab it, sagging slightly from the weight of the box.

She shakes her head' and here I was thinking you would hit the gym a couple of times this summer and be back to lead the school's football team to never seen before victory '.

Still huffing a bit at the weight 'sorry to disappoint , what should I do with these ?'.

'Distribute these to the students during the orientation program.  You should be able to identify most of the faces. The ones you can't identify, ask from Lalita
'. She sits back down, turning back to he desktop screen.

I trudge towards the school arena- it's more or less a large hall given a posh name to make it sound more glamorous than it actually is- and push the door open.

I see some teachers and the principal setting up the sound system on stage, they don't notice me. I notice Lalita Chu bent over cleaning chairs at the extreme end of the arena.  I head over to her. I dump the box in the chair she's cleaning.  She looks up and smiles warmly at me.

'What's up?'. She pulls me into a quick hug.

'Nothing but the sky 'I reply dorkily.

'Seriously, did you even make an effort or is that the best you can come up with'. She asks a wide smile on her face . I shrug in response.

She picks a paper from the box and her face falls comically. 'Don't tell me we're going to be distributing this individually '.

'I won't tell you cause you already know '. I reply, nodding my head sympathetically.

'But you'll take 70% right?' She starts blinking and pouting at me. I shake my head as I burst out laughing at the expression on her face.

'Nope, 50:50, fair and square ' I grab a pile from the box that looks big enough to be half and it to her. She heaves in mock sadness but takes it from me anyway,  and resumes cleaning chairs.

I slump back in a chair hoping to get some shut eye before the students start trooping in.

⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘⚘
A/N
OKAY, I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING, ITS BEEN A LONG TIME. BUT ITS NOT REALLY MY FAULT. DUE TO THE PANDEMIC OUR FINALS KEPT GETTING POSTPONED AND THEN WHEN WE FINALLY DID IT, OUR FINAL ADMISSION INTO COLLEGE EXAMS WERE HELD OFF AND ARE STILL BEING HELD OFF TILL THIS DAY .THIS YEAR HAS BEEN SO CRAZY, BUT I'M HERE NOW AND I JUST GOT MY PHONE, SO THAT'S DEFINITELY A PRO THUS YEAR. REGULAR UPDATES FROM NOW ON.

SEE YA.
PEARL✌
Vote, comment and share. I can't believe I almost forgot to write that.