chapter one

~ = chapter one = ~

~ = chapter one = ~

=   =

=  =

In front of the huge castle's doorstep, the three boys glanced at each other in unison, surprised of the fact that they're standing right here, right now together, after so many years.

"Hosuh, Daniel, Stephen?"

The three boys stepped up, curiously looking up at their highness after bowing. They then stared at each other, a swirl of emotions passing by them; some anger, sadness, longing, and happiness.

The king cleared his throat once again, catching the boys' attention. "Boys, you are like my sons. I remember the first time I saw you three playing near my garden. I was in awe, how three little boys could work so well together!"

Hosuh smiled brightly as Daniel chuckled.

Stephen smirked. "We were almost kicked out, Your Highness, but you were there to save us from trouble."

They recall a vague memory of the time they got lost and somehow ended up at the royal family's garden. Some guards got mad because of trespassing property, but the King happened to be strolling around at that time and noticed the ruckus. That was the beginning of a friendship lasting a lifetime.

The King smiled sadly. "Yes, I remember. Though I am very reluctant to do this. . .I have a mission for you three."

With those words, the three perked up visibly.

Why was the King sad?

Shouldn't he be proud?

We worked so hard for this moment!

Different kinds of thoughts passed by the boys, but most of all, they were worried.

"I need you three to hunt down the man that's been kidnapping girls young and of middle age. Their parents have begged and begged for help. I felt sympathetic," he said, his voice low.

Daniel frowned. "Your Highness, it's a fair mission? Low class trainees like us can do it in a day."

Hosuh and Stephen nodded simultaneously.

The King sighed. "I don't know anything about that man. I was about to send some elites to this mission but they were all busy, and they also suggested I pick you three."

"Why us?" Hosuh chimed in, but it was as if he was telling that to himself.

"I've heard how remarkable you three are, and I am so proud. But I don't know if you should do such a grave task," the King said, his hand on his forehead. "Every mission always has dire consequences."

The three looked at each other once again.

"Despite being separated for years, I know you three are still amazing together. Teamwork is a virtue, after all, especially when it comes to you." He smiled encouragingly.

The King sent them away from the castle.

Baffled, Stephen's face morphed into disbelief. "That's all, seriously?!"

"Calm down, Stephen. Daniel said so himself that it's an easy mission," Hosuh said comfortingly.

Stephen scoffed. "Well that's a shame because I never listen to Daniel. I'm itching for some dragon-hunting, even dumb people can catch pedophiles in a jiffy."

Daniel sighed. "Guys, please calm down. We don't have time for this."

"You don't have time! I have all the right and the time in the world to complain! This is absurd!"

As Stephen continues to complain like a five-year old child, Daniel speaks up. "By the way, do you think we can survive the king's mission?"

Hosuh and Stephen glanced at each other, before looking back at Daniel with determination glinting in their eyes.

=KING'S MISSION=

With everything they needed in their hands, the three went straight to the village that been affected most of the situation. While walking, they were in awkward silence.

Hosuh, being the one who can't handle the atmosphere, decides to say something. "So. . . it's been a while, huh, guys?"

"Ten years is a long time," Stephen said, shrugging.

Then they fall into silence again.

Ahead of them, the sight of a small village immediately screams with gloominess even from just a glance. It was like their world has lost color. There are no sign of people outside, and it was dead quiet.

Daniel visibly shivers from the vibe the village gave, but continues walking. Hosuh notices Daniel's agitation and frowned.

When they walked deeper into the village, a lady that seems to be in her late thirties came out of her house and notices the three.

"Ma'am!" Daniel calls out, waving. "May we ask some questions?"

The lady stares up at Daniel with dead eyes. "Okay." She said, but there was no hint of emotion in her tone.

"What exactly happened here?" Hosuh asked.

"Teenage girls are being kidnapped. My daughter is one of the victims, so I'm sorry, but I won't be comfortable talking about this."

Daniel nods in understanding. "It's alright, ma'am, it's our mission to save the girls so you can trust us. May I ask what time this usually happens and who are the victims?"

The lady avoids eye contact. "It's early in the morning, when people are just about to wake up. I heard from my neighbor she saw her daughter suddenly disappear when she was about to call her for breakfast. When I was about to surprise my daughter after being away from town for so long, I heard a scream from her room and when I checked, she was gone."

Tears started pooling in her eyes causing the three to panic a bit, clueless on how to comfort someone. Fortunately, Hosuh stepped up and hugged the mother, to which the woman quickly reacted to and hugged back, crying. "It's alright, ma'am, we promise we will help you." 

 "I hope you bring my baby back," she said through sniffles. Hosuh let go as Daniel spoke up. "Thank you for the help, ma'am. We appreciate it even if little!" He gave a warm smile as the two did the same (though Stephen's is forced). 

 The lady nodded and, finally, smiled back. They walked away without another word. 

 "What now, Daniel? You can't possibly expect us to wait until the next morning doing nothing!" Stephen said exasperatingly, his hands up in the air. "

Exactly," answered Daniel. "That's why we will hunt for some more clues until the next morning!"

= =

= =

~ = chapter one = ~

~ = this chapter is written by: sorrowful_soul = ~