Chapter nineteen

Chapter nineteen

I just knew that. . . when I opened my eyes, everything would be gone. My world would erase, become blank. Become nothing.

“What'd they do to you?” he whispered. “What'd they do?”

An icy wind came, whipping our clothes and raising our skins in goosebumps. I held him tighter, our heat merging into one to fight the cold. He seemed to have more warmth than me, and I thought of fire, of tranquility. Maybe it was a good thing, for someone not only to be able to twist your insides but unravel them too. “They left me alone,” I answered quietly. Yet the truth in my words rang loudly. They left me alone. Isolated me. And it jarred something in my brain. Made something wrong with me.

“Look at me,” he instructed softly, but I sensed the note of pain and concern. “Look at me, Dri.”

I gathered the strength, said, “Don't leave me, okay?” and I drew myself away, opening my eyes to his. His were shining. From the moonlight or tears, I was not sure. Something inside me repaired. He did not disappear. I didn't think he ever would. My hands touched his face. He took them in his own, kissing them both before looking into my eyes again.

“How,” was all I could whisper.

His mouth quirked into a half smile. I wanted to kiss the dimple that appeared. “We always find a way back to each other, don't we?” He set his forehead against mine. “The world fights for us.”

Crying, I laughed. “I did not get wall dust all over me for the world to get the glory.”

“Is that what this is?” His thumb traveled over my knuckles. “ I thought you needed some lotion.”

“I think you have some,” I whispered, taking the sleeve of his hoodie and wiping the dust from the pleasant lines of his mouth. And then I kissed him. Bruno groaned through his throat, caving in an instant. I was reminded of earlier, when I shivered because of the nature winds, my lungs filled with its fresh air. His mouth was cold. His hand bunched up the back of his hoodie to keep me there. There was something frantic about it, something afraid. I began to tremble. I tried keeping the kiss slow, to appreciate its every detail because I missed I missed him oh God I missed him, but I could feel Bruno's want, his yearning, deep and fathomless, twisted with mine, and our kiss became desperate.

Ris broke through the dizzying state of my mind and I pulled away. Bruno sucked in a loud breath, slumping back against the wall. “Sorry!” I exclaimed, but he batted the apology away, shutting his eyes.

Holding on his arm in concern, I looked for her. She stood some two feet away, finding interest in her feet. “Ris,” I said, apologetic. Her head jerked in response. I turned to Bruno. “I couldn't have escaped if it weren't for her. You're okay?”

He smiled lazily, eyes still closed. “Never better.” Then he frowned, his brows coming together. He opened his eyes and for a second my breath caught. “What was that you said? Escape?” His gaze flicked to Ris and he smiled politely, but there was still a worry-crease on his forehead. “I know we're about to leave this place, a little quietly, but. . . you had to escape your room?”

A light flashed in the corner of my eye, preventing me from answering. Stomach lurching, I whipped towards it. A white light winked on and off amongst the several cars parked in a lot the size of one at shopping centers. “The signal,” Bruno murmured, sounding astonished. “He found it. We have to go.”