Chapter forty-seven

Chapter forty-seven

On the night of our arrival to the Dev's palace, Joseph showed me a bedroom, situated on the fourth floor. It was much like a small apartment, minus the kitchen and modern day works. It had its own bathroom, fireplace, dining area. French doors led to a balcony. A forest green painted the walls, matching the bed's drapery, which was entwined with fine black thread.

Green was my favorite color. I had a feeling the room hadn't been this way before.

The only question I dared to wonder was, "Is this my bedroom?"

"Do you like it?"

I entered more inside, turning around on my heel atop a lavish fur rug, taking in the elegant designs. "It's perfect."

His mouth curved into a small smile and it was hard not to wince. "You have not seen it all."

"I think I've seen enough." I made a show of yawning.

"Would you like dinner?"

Fastening one of the curtains of the bed to its post, I whispered, "In the morning."

"That would be breakfast."

The fabric of the drapery wound easily around my fingers. "Breakfast, then."

I felt him shift, as though he were right by my shoulder. My skin prickled. "I'll leave you be. Goodnight, Adrian."

"'Night."

"And please, lock your door."

This made me face him. "Why?"

"For your own protection. Sleep well."

He opened the door, revealing the silver shoulders of two guards, and closed it behind him.

I sunk down onto the edge of the bed, leaning my head against the slender post.

Whom did I need protection from other than him? I touched my empty belt, wishing for my dagger. I would ask for it, tomorrow. No doubt Joseph would give it to me—I could not use it against him, and this is where he had the upper hand. I couldn't hurt Joseph. He would blind me before I even grasped the opportunity.

I crawled to the middle of the bed and flopped on my back, sighing at the softness contouring with my sore limbs.

Joseph had been right. If only I did know how to guard my mind, and at that thought, a feeling of powerlessness washed over me. Joseph would always be over me, so long as my mind was kept vulnerable.

So learn. Learn from who? Perhaps Ashley and Dan had a few tips. I should give them a call.

I rolled my eyes at myself.

But Joseph had fleeting moments of vulnerability himself. It was rare, yet true. My stomach clenched horribly at the memory of that night, when I accidentally discovered his biggest secret, his most terrifying memory, his deepest scar.

And how had I committed that mistake? I'd used my vain.

You could make him kiss your feet if you wanted.

I smiled, not so much because of Ris' words, but at the recollection, and found myself grinning bigger. She was alive. Temporarily disabled, but in one piece. I had so much to tell her. So much I wanted her to know. And I wanted to hug her again, never let her out of my sight.