Chapter Forty: Death in Heaven

The Cyberman raised his weapon, aiming at Wanda. 

"Stop!" she ordered, thinking on her feet. "You can't kill me!" 

"Incorrect." 

"I'm a target of strategic value," she told it. "Alive, I'm a tactical advantage. Dead, I'm your biggest mistake. You don't know who I am." 

A beam came out from the disc on the Cyberman's chest, scanning her up and down. "You are Wanda Maximoff. You are human. You are unimportant." 

"Incorrect." She began to smile confidently. "You see, that is what you're supposed to think. That is what everybody thinks." 

"You are Wanda Maximoff." 

"Wanda Maximoff is a cover story, a disguise," she explained. "There is no Wanda Maximoff." 

"Identify," the Cyberman ordered. 

She scoffed. "Oh, don't be so slow, it's embarrassing. Who could fool you like this? Who could hide right under your nose? Who could change their face any time they want? Hmm? You see, I'm not Wanda Maximoff. Wanda Maximoff has never existed." 

"Identify!" 

Wanda smiled confidently. "I'm the Angel."

***

"Look at them!" Missy grinned, gesturing to the Cybermen. "My boys!"

"Cybermen in broad daylight?" The Doctor scoffed. "You think people won't notice?" 

Missy just raised her eyebrows at him, unpinning her hat and setting it on the ground. "Photos with the big metal men, one pound." Immediately coins started chinking into her hat as people rushed to take selfies with the Cybermen. "New York, Paris, Rome, Marrakesh, Brisbane, Glasgow, everywhere," Missy continued, showing them on her device. "Anywhere. Me and my boys, we're going viral." 

Suddenly, a familiar woman with a bow tie and glasses appeared. "Would you like me to take a picture? Sorry, selfies are never as good, are they? And you're having a lovely moment. Hang on!" She grabbed Missy's device. 

"Nice bow tie," McKenzie complimented, grabbing Missy before she could move. 

Osgood smiled. "Bow ties are cool. Big smiles, and now!" All around them, guns were raised, each and every one of them trained on Missy. The people they had assumed to be tourists turned out to be soldiers, and several more in tactical gear came out of the nearby buildings. 

"Move, move, move! Stand by! Surround target! Hold back!" 

Heels clacked on the cobblestones, and Kate Stewart smiled as she walked over to them. "Afternoon. You've picked a lovely day for it. My, don't you look shiny." She nodded to the Doctor and McKenzie. "Haircuts?" 

The Doctor tilted his head. "Bit of a trim." 

"Growing it out again," McKenzie added. 

"Mmm. Might want to do your roots," Kate teased. She nodded to one of her soldiers. "The woman." 

"Yes, ma'am." Two soldiers walked over and held Missy in their custody as Kate turned to address the gathered ranks of Cybermen. 

"Kate Stewart," she introduced herself. "Divorcee, mother of two, keen gardener, outstanding bridge player. Also Chief Scientific Officer of the Unified Intelligence Taskforce, who currently have you surrounded."