mamihlapinata

Chapter Seventeen

Mamihlapinata

(n.) the wordless look between two people who both desire something, yet are equally reluctant to initiate.

~ ~ ~

The harmonious laughter of Austin, Courtney, and Jeremiah sounded through the kitchen as the radio played out a melody. My hair was dripping down my back, my wet elastic causing my wrist to itch uncomfortably.

Damian stood beside me, slathering on peanut butter onto pieces of white bread before handing them to me so that I can cover that layer with strawberry jam. Our haphazard stack of already made sandwiches was starting to pile high on the plate next to me. The smell reminded me of elementary school which I was relishing in.

My eyes quickly shot up to meet Damian's golden brown eyes as he hands me the last of his duty. A small grin dances on his face, almost nervous looking, before our eyes disengage. As my eyes look back down to the job before me, I find a smile wiggling its way onto my face. Today really had been a great day.

I cut the last sandwich into triangles, placing it on the top of the pyramid of lunch, and start to make my way, plate in hand, to the table. "Here we go, you guys." I announce, placing the stack at the centre of the table before taking my seat between Damian and Courtney.

Our round kitchen table, slightly off balance and worn, was filled to the brim with people. I hadn't seen our house like this in a long time, not since I was a lot younger and still invited my friends over.

"Thank you." Three voices echo back at me, multiple hands lunging for and grabbing at the plate. Damian's shaggy head of hair catches the corner of my eye, his waves even curlier than usual from the water fight, and I can sense his gaze running over my face.

His hand reaches for food as well, the light catching on the white scars that pepper his skin. I desperately resist the urge to cradle his arm in my lap and tell him that it's okay.

Our pyramid is soon dwindled down to only a lego house sized scrap. A laugh escaping my mouth as peanut butter coats my mouth. "Good thing no one's allergic otherwise I don't think we'd have enough food for everyone." I mention, everyone's attention moving away from their food and onto me.

"Yeah, that's for sure." Austin answers, a laugh of his own catching me off guard. "Can we play FIFA afterwards, Kali?" He asks me, both Jeremiah and him looking at me expectantly.

I vigorously nod my head. "Of course you guys can." The words are barely out of my mouth before they are both sprinting out of the room and to the living room where I soon hear the static of the TV coming to life. I was amazed at how well the two had gotten along so quickly, I guess soccer has a way of bringing people together though.

Courtney finishes off the rest of her sandwich before turning to me with sleepy eyes, the few hours of playing in the sun catching up to her. "What can I do for you, girlie?" I ponder, scooping the plates from lunch on top of each other as I stand.

Her face squishes together as if she'd about to say something before she shakes her head, instead she gets up from her seat and heads into the living room where the cheering of fans rings from the TV. I sigh, stifling a yawn of my own as I turn to the dishes.

"I'll wash if you dry?" Damian offers, sneaking up behind me as I fill the sink with water and dish soap. I nod, a smile of gratitude thrown up at him as I move to the side to grab a towel.

The soft melody of a 60s song filters through the air as the sun continues to shine brightly in the sky from the window. The water is cut off by Damian, his hand immediately plunging into the soapiness. Silence envelopes the two of us, no words needing to be said at the moment.