“The last question will be stricken from the record. My courtroom is not bias to sexuality, race, religion, gender or any other prejudice. My courtroom will be fair in every aspect,” the judge looks over at the jury. “You will disregard the last question. Do you understand?” There are twelve ‘yes your honor’s before she moves on. “Counsel you may resume your questioning.”

He nods at her before turning back to Rebecca, “So in your opinion, there was no relationship going on between them?”

“No,” she smiles like nothing just happened.

“And when did you first find out about the two of them?”

She looks a little annoyed by the question and shoots me a look, “When I got home from work the next day there was an envelope with a copy of their marriage license in it.”

I could feel my heart sink. If she tells them what else was in the parcel, it will make me look horrible.

“Was there anything else?”

Her eyes connect with mine and her eyebrows pull in slightly. A look of confusion flashes over her face, but she blinks and it’s gone. She takes a deep breath and straightens her back, “No.”

If anyone is looking at me they probably see my jaw drop. There’s no way that Rebecca wouldn’t use this against me. What just happened?

“No,” she clarifies, “it was just the license.”

Halloran raises an eyebrow, but does push it. Instead he clasps his hands together and starts pacing the space in front of the judge’s bench, “Miss Rattan could you tell the court how it got to your apartment?”

Rebecca looks up for a second and then back over to me. I could swear there’s a smirk playing at her lips, but it looks like she’s trying to cover it. She shrugs and pushes out her bottom lips, “When we were dating, sometimes Topher would use my address since I live closer to the city. Maybe in all the excitement, he put the wrong one.”

The prosecution stops abruptly and turns towards his witness, “Are you sure?”

She looks to be thinking about it for a second and then looks back to Halloran, “That’s the only thing I can come up with.”

“And it was definitely Christopher that sent it to you?”

Her eyes catch mine again, “It looked like his handwriting to me.”

“No further questions.”

Now I know my jaw has to be on the floor. This is out of control.

When Halloran walks away, she shoots me a wink, but straightens quickly as Bridget approaches.

“Miss Rattan, can you tell the court what it is you do for a living?” my attorney is on her game right away.

“I am a professional actress.”

“And are you in anything that the court would know?” a red eyebrow arches.

“Objection, relevance?” but he lacks conviction. It’s more of a tired try than and actual objection.

“Her credibility, your honor,” Bridget smiles pleasantly.

“I’ll allow it,” the judge nods and motions for her to continue.

“Are you in anything that the court would recognize, Rebecca?”

Becca smiles and nods, “I met Topher on a movie I did with him, but now I have a reoccurring role as Laurie Decker the main surgeon on the series ‘Last Meds’ from FOX.”