6 No Waiting Period

"We were all sitting around laughing because you two had just been yelled at, yet again, for making horrible moaning noises while trying to strip each other behind the bar. I guess Topher was the one to pull away because Day, you said 'I told you, you couldn't handle this'. Then Toph, you came back with, 'I think I was handling just fine. You weren't complaining.' We all kind of laughed at that point," Riel explains as her, Topher and I sit around her living room. She's leaning toward us really getting into the story. She finds our embarrassment amusing, "Then you, Day, said 'Prove it.' which makes Toph lean into you again, but surprisingly you actually backed up. Then you put a hand to his chest and said 'Without kissing me'. Then Toph asked how to do that, but you just shrugged and told him to figure it out." 

"This is ridiculous," I tell her. "How could I have been awake for all this and not remember a damn thing?" 

"You were pretty out of it," she smiles at me then turns to Toph. "You really don't remember any of this? I mean, you were probably drunk at this point, but you were nowhere near wasted." 

Topher shakes his head at her, "I guess I just play it off well." 

She looks a little suspicious, but turns back to me, "Okay so after you told him to figure it out, he said 'I would be the best damn boyfriend in the world if you were mine', which made you giggle." 

"Giggle?" I ask a little worried. I mean, I know I got married to a man and all, but giggling is a little much. 

She smirks devilishly, "Giggle. Then Toph said, 'I'll do you one better. I would be the best husband in the world. No one could treat you like I would.' Apparently that sounded enticing to you because you nodded and said 'Now that I would like to see.' Then Toph, your playfully little smirk turned into a huge smile; like you won the lottery or something." 

"So?" I urge after a few moments for her thinking to herself. 

"So after a few minutes of debate, it came to settle that if you were actually going to marry him, he had to 'ask you properly'," she puts air quote around the last three word and mocks my accent.  

"What's that mean?" Toph wonders out loud. 

She faces him before continuing the story, "Damon wanted a ring and an actual proposal. Then he suggested if you did it right then you guys could get married after you proved to be the best boyfriend in the world." 

"He did all that in one night?" 

"Well those rings," she answers me as she points between our two left hands, "that I see you're still wearing despite wanting to get divorced." 

"Mines stuck," Topher says at the same time that I say, "I don't want to lose it." 

"Whatever," she waves us off. "The rings apparently belonged to your grandparents, Toph." 

My mouth drops as I take another look at the metal band on my hand. It does look a little antique-y if you actually look closely, but they were seemingly very well taken care of. 

"Where did you get them?" I look over at Toph who is inspecting his own ring.  

He shook his head for a second in confusion, but then apparently it dawns on him. He turns his rings so that the diamonds are on the inside of his hand and looks up at me, "They were in the lock safe at my house. They've been in my family for six generations. My dad gave them to me on his death bed," his eyes connect with mine in shock.  

He opens his mouth to continue speaking, but I cut him off by taking off the ring and handing it back to him, "That's like 150 years. Here, I don't want to lose it. It probably means a lot to you coming from your dad."