Dear Magnus

Max: 68
Rafael: 70
It has been five years since Alec's death.
Enjoy reading!

Dear Magnus,

I don't know where I will be when you read this. Maybe I am with the angels, or in an endless nothing, or I am in what the mundanes would call the purgatory. Nobody knows what comes after death, if there even is anything after death, not even the Nephilim.

But I know, that wherever I am right now and wherever you are when you read this that I love you and that you love me. It is hard to hold back the tears when I imagine you reading this, an expression of sadness and loss on your face.

I am sorry that I cause you this kind of pain, I really am. I wish I could take it all away, but I know I can't. I should probably stop writing about this before I stain the paper with tears.

I know you will all come together to bid me farewell, my siblings and their spouses and family. Max and Rafael, together with his family. And all the friends of the family. Knowing you, my funeral will be a very big event.

Whatever you choose to do, I am sure it is going to be wonderful. It will be perfect, I have no doubt about that. You know what is best for it, I know that.

But there's one thing that I have to ask you to do for me. Please don't let the pain of loss consume you. I know that you'll be sad and down because you lost me, but you have so much more to live for than me.

I ask you to take your time to mourn me, take your time to grieve. But don't miss enjoying time with Rafael, Max and everyone else that's alive and dear to you. I ask you to become able to be happy again, even without me.

You surely already found the other items in this box. I think you know it, but my arrowhead is for your box of tokens. I am proud to be one of the mortals you loved. I am proud to be part of your memories, Magnus. I know that you loved me with all your heart, even though I know that I am not the only one.

For the arrowhead that's a necklace now: Please don't feel obligated to wear it. I just thought it might be something you'd like. I blunted the edges so it won't hurt you if you decide to wear it. You will find out that I also bequeathed one to Max.

I know that the two of you will remember me with or without it. That, in a few hundred years, when Shadowhunters have no idea about some random Alexander Lightwood-Bane that was Inquisitor once, you will remember me. You will remember me and you can't imagine how much love that fills me with.

I hope that you find love again. I hope that you find someone who gives you all the love and appreciation that you deserve. That they fill your heart with happiness and joy. And know, that when it happens again, I will smile, because someone made my beloved Magnus move on.

I have one final request. Please never forget how much I love you. That even though I am no longer with you that I love you, so much that I can not put it in words. I love you, Magnus, with all my heart and that love will never die.

I am, and will always be, your loving husband

Your Alexander

Tears were falling down the warlocks face when he put the letter back into his box of memories. It wasn't the one he kept his tokens in, but one where he kept things of Alexander. He still had the other one, but his husband deserved one of his own.

Every one of the items inside was important to Magnus. There was the letter, Alec's arrowhead, his wedding ring, a picture of them on their wedding day and his stele. At first, Magnus wanted Rafael to have it, but his son had given it back, telling him it would be an honor, but he wanted Magnus to keep it.

He closed the box with a sight and let his fingers glide over the word Alexander, engraved in the top of it. He still loved his Nephilim so much. He wore the arrowhead necklace every day, even though he wouldn't need it to remember his husband.

Magnus got up and put the box away, before walking out of the bedroom. After Alec's death, he had resigned from the position of High Warlock of Alicante and moved back to New York. He hadn't really gone back to work yet, only brewing some potions when friends asked him to.

He had tried to do what Alexander had asked him to and taken his time to mourn. There were still things that evoked deep sadness in him, but overall he was back in life. He felt the loss of Alec every day, but it didn't hinder him from enjoying time with his family.

Magnus still loved his husband and he knew he would never stop loving him. He made a portal appear in the middle of his living room. Stepping through, the fresh air of Alicante welcomed him. He looked up, seeing the gates to the graveyard being open.

He walked in, following the familiar path to the place were Alec was laid to rest. He smiled as he read the words engraved at the headstone.

Alexander Gideon Lightwood-Bane
1995-2081
Who loved one man so much he changed the world for him.

***
If you liked this chapter please consider giving it a comment or vote. Thanks for reading!
And yes, the inscription on the tombstone is a quote from the books.

This is the last chapter for this book, but  I already have a new idea and will start to work on it shortly.

If you want you can check out my other stories, "Take Me Away" and "Recovery."