Hiei grumbled something incoherently as my bedroom door swung open. I opened my eyes in time to see, Yusuke, Dee, Kurama and Kuwabara stumble through the door.

"Oh, don't you two look cozy." Dee winked in my direction causing my face to flush scarlet once more.

Hiei and I separated, red faced. "D-Did you figure out who started the fire?" I asked in hopes to change the subject.

"Nice segue." Yusuke teased me causing my face to burn more.

Kurama chuckled softly to himself and was kind enough to come to my rescue, "we believe it was the work of a demon."

My thoughts drifted to Kai and a shiver rolled down my spine, "was it...?" I couldn't even bring myself to say his name.

"Not Kai...we think it may have been a fox demon..." Yusuke added.

"Like me?" I paled.

Kurama nodded.

I thought about what Alexa had said about the fox king. "Kurama...is there a fox king?"

He nodded, "there is. He's an Ice Fox, and they've been at war with the Fire Fox Clan for as long as I can remember."

"The fire tonight?" I asked hesitantly.

"Was the doing of a member of the Fire Fox Clan..."

I bit my lip. Was I their target? If that were the case, me being around humans could be dangerous. People could have been seriously hurt in the fire if Alexa hadn't been able to remove my necklace. I paled as another thought crossed my mind, if Alexa hadn't been there to remove the necklace...I wouldn't have been able to use my powers...I probably would have died.

"Kimi?" Dee looked to me worried.

"I think Alexa's dreams might be true, Dee..."

Dee sighed, "I know they are...she's always had these freaky dreams...even when she was little, she knew things would happen before they did, it really freaked a lot of people out." She suddenly smiled, "so you really are a princess."

"Is that why the Fire Fox Clan is targeting me?" I asked Kurama curiously.

"It's highly likely. They hate the Ice Clan and I'm sure both sides cursed your parents' union..." He said with a grimace.

"They want me dead?" I asked after a moment and watched everyone grow tense. They all knew, and confirmed my suspicions, but no one wanted to be the one to say it.

"They won't succeed." Hiei suddenly scoffed surprising everyone. He didn't normally involve himself in group discussions.

"Huh?" I looked to him curiously.

"They'll have to get through me first." He said as if it were obvious. "I'll show them the error in their ways." There was something frightening about the way he said it that sent a shiver down my spine.

"I think the shrimp has a crush on Kimi." Kuwabara piped up causing Yusuke and Dee to snicker and Kurama to cringe sympathetically. In the next instant Hiei vanished for a split second before reappearing exactly where he'd been as if nothing had happened and Kuwabara hit the ground unconscious.

"EEP! Kuwabara are you okay?" I gasped.

"Pay the idiot no mind, Kimi." Hiei huffed.

"Ah...Hiei...did you—?"

He shrugged.

"That's not very nice...Kuwabara is our friend, we should be nicer to him..." I had a strange sense of deja vu, I'd had a similar discussion with Alexa earlier.

Yusuke and Dee howled with laughter as Hiei's face reddened.

"That's the voice you use to talk to the miniature human." He growled looking somewhat flustered.

Kurama was struggling to keep a straight face. Dee and Yusuke were holding each other up as they slumped against one another laughing hysterically. Kuwabara let out a soft snore in his unconscious state.

"Ah...sorry." I blushed and bowed my head apologetically only for my shoulder to protest. I let out a soft gasp of pain and clutched at my injured shoulder.

Everyone stopped laughing immediately, and Hiei was at my side in an instant. "I told you to rest, stupid girl." He sighed and ushered me back into bed before taking up his post in a chair at my bedside to watch over me.

"Get some rest Kimi...we can figure things out in the morning." Yusuke offered me a reassuring smile.

Dee rushed over to give me a quick hug goodnight, "goodnight my little Kimi, thanks for keeping Alexa safe." She kissed the top of my head receiving a scowl from Hiei in the process and scurried out the door after Yusuke who was dragging Kuwabara by his feet.

Kurama looked between the pair of us with a sly smile, "goodnight, you two." He and Hiei exchanged a look and I had a feeling from the sudden spark of annoyance in Hiei's deep crimson eyes that Kurama must have said something to him telepathically that irked him.

"Goodnight." I replied meekly and waved farewell as he left the room and shut the door behind him. "What did he say to you?" I asked Hiei curiously.

His cheeks looked a little red. "Nothing of importance."

Whatever it was, he was annoyed and possibly a little embarrassed, though I didn't think he'd ever admit to it. "Hiei?"

"Hn?"

"Thanks for watching over me..."

"You're supposed to be resting." He grumbled somewhat awkwardly.

"Hiei?" I tried again, softly.

He turned his gaze to me. "What is it, now?"

I blushed, embarrassed. I'd wanted to ask him if we could sit how we were before but it was too embarrassing. I'd felt so safe and secure in his arms, it had been so nice, I wanted to feel it again, but now I was too scared. "Never mind. Sorry. Goodnight." I squeaked and turned my head away to hide my blushing face.

He let out a soft sigh. In the next moment I was being lifted into his strong arms. I let out a muted squeal and threw my arms around him in surprise at the sudden shift in movement. He sat on my bed with me cradled in his arms, just like before, and swept a blanket around us. He didn't say a word but I thought I saw a small trace of a smile on his lips.

I relaxed against him with a smile and closed my eyes, "goodnight, Hiei."

"Goodnight, Kimi."