Chapter Twelve: The Nightmare Continues

Start from the beginning

"I can't do this," Mom sobbed, catching Mizuki off guard. "My sweet little boy is hospitalized, and my daughter won't even talk to me anymore," she covered her face with one hand and began to cry, then excused herself and left the room.

Mizuki didn't know why she was being so mean to her mother—to everyone. She should be there for her family, and she should know her friends were there to help her through this.

"You can always watch us swim," Makoto says presently. "It's nice to see you on the sidelines cheering us on." Her eyes don't lift to his, instead staying properly focused on the floor, fidgeting uncomfortably on the spot. Surely the kind-hearted captain will understand if she tells him those days are over.

"It wasn't your fault."

Mizuki looks over at Haruka. She doesn't want him or anyone else to say those words right now. The accident is still fresh on her mind, with too many facts to pin the blame on her. Still, she can't ignore him. Forcing a pleasant smile, Mizuki nods.

"You're so perfect—Daichi should be proud to have such a responsible and kind big sister."

Her mouth begins to twitch.

"He shouldn't have been wandering around on his own," Haruka's calm, velvet voice is making her blood boil. "It was his fault, not yours."

Knots tie up Mizuki's stomach. She lowers her head and shakes it back and forth.

"You and Rin had more pressing matters to talk about, so it's natural you'd send him away. Am I right?" Rei blushes with guilt; he quickly confesses that he trailed the pair at the festival.

"Shut up," she snaps abruptly.

Graced with sorrowful eyes, Rei holds his tongue at her command.

"You're acting like a total huffy today, Haru. If I had an Oscar I would hand it over instantly!" The more Haruka stares, the more vexed, annoyed and angry she becomes. "You got Rei to stalk me, and you're making me feel guilty?"

"But it was because of Rin-chan—"

"Shut up, Nagisa!" Her words pierce Nagisa's very heart. She's lost her temper completely. "This has nothing to do with Rin."

"Of course it does," scoffs Haruka. "Rin is only using you to get back at me. There's no way he would have seen you standing if we weren't close. Rin never liked you in the first place; he hates you. You should just join us with swim practice like we've done before."

"That's enough, Haru." Makoto interferes to spare Mizuki's feelings, but the damage is done. Her face is scarlet with anger, her lips quivering, and her whole slender form trembling from head to toe.

"I can't believe I turned him down—for you," Mizuki's hazel eyes glitter with unshed tears. "All because I thought you and me were... what does this all mean, then?" she whispers. "What am I to you?"

There's a pause.

Makoto knows this isn't going to end well, but he also knows there's no stopping Haruka, so he steps back and allows for the boy to speak his mind. Mizuki is not his first crush, but she's his best crush, in his opinion.

"You're someone special, so I love you."

Haruka gazes at the skinny teenager with fire in her eyes who had the courage to face her phobia—for his sake, is what he wants to believe. And he's smitten.

Completely.

Absolutely. Without hesitation or rational thought.

"I hate you," she says in a choked voice, stamping her foot on the floor. "I hate you—I hate you—I hate you—" a louder stamp with each assertion of hatred. "How dare you say such words! How dare you make me feel so guilty! You are a rude, impolite, unfeeling person!"