The scarred man finished with a lazy grin. "Do you understand?"

Luke nodded. "I do."

"How many of your team will join us?" He glanced at me and Eric, raising an eyebrow.

Eric stepped back as I stepped forward, but before either of us could speak, Luke shook his head. "I'll do the challenge alone."

"Really?" Slash seemed surprised. "You'd have a much higher risk of dying, you know."

Luke didn't waver. "I won't risk their lives."

Slash had them bring two glasses over, setting them both in the center of the table. "Then pick your cup, Your Highness, and I'll drink from the remaining one."

Luke stepped forward, staring at the glasses intently. But as he reached forward to grab it...

"Sorry." I took it first with a smile, tipping it back and swallowing the wine.

"WHAT ARE YOU...?" Before Luke's horrified gaze, I grabbed the second glass, finishing it off as well.

"Are you suicidal?" Slash watched me with a curious expression.

I thought of the poor girl in Deadly Crown who died in Graham's place, and shook my head. "Nope, I'm not important enough of a character to die here."

With a grin I took the vial from my pocket, drinking half of its contents before stoppering it and storing it away. Slash's eyes widened at the sight of the clear fluid, before settling into a hateful glare.

"You've seen Blade. That's her antidote."

"Yep."

"I'm going to kill her."

"You can try." I started to laugh. "She was calling you a 'weak bitch' who had to rely on poisons when I left."

Slash sputtered with rage, his face an angry red, and i laughed harder, smiling widely with relief.

My laughter abruptly changed into a startled shriek as I was pulled off my feet, toppling to the ground with someone, landing onto that person's lap. I was wrapped in a tight embrace, almost too tight to breath. Before I could struggle free, however, a familiar voice spoke up.

"Idiot." Luke sounded near tears. "What were you thinking?"

I tried to pull back, acutely aware that we were sitting on the ground in front of a large group of bandits, but he was holding on too tightly. After a few short struggles I gave up and leaned my head on his shoulder, instead. "If I only drank one he might still make you drink the other. So I took both."

"You drank poison." His voice was angry.

"Um... yes... but I had the antidote..."

I heard a long sigh. "And why didn't you just give the antidote to me?"

"..." I paused, thinking it over. "I didn't want to risk you getting hurt."

His arms tightened, and I was surprised to find he was trembling. "Do you think I could bear you getting hurt in my place?" His voice was weak. "The crown isn't worth it. I'm not worth it. Don't sacrifice yourself for me."

I didn't say anything, allowing him to hold me for a few minutes. Slowly, we got up, and my face reddened as I realized we had been hugging in front of a large group of people. Trying to regain some composure, I held out my hand towards Slash.

"Tarif."

He glared at me. "You cheated."

"So did you. Both glasses were poisoned." I was just guessing, but his eyes widened, confirming my accusation.