Luke followed behind me, a bright smile lighting up his entire face. You would never think that he was about to face a life or death trial by looking at him. I felt slightly annoyed.

"You're facing a poison drinking challenge, what are you so happy about?"

His smile didn't fade. "You're here. Why shouldn't I be happy?"

"..." I was speechless for a few moments at his simple reply, before forcing myself to remember why I had come.

"Don't trust Eric."

A painful expression flashed across his face, making me wish I could hug him again. Before I could move, he quickly forced himself to appear calm again. "Eric is a traitor?"

"He may be working for Fetter."

At the sound of his younger half-brother's name he closed his eyes and groaned. "Are you sure?"

I thought it over. It was difficult to say how much the plot had changed. Luke was a very different person from the villain Lucien in the book. What if Eric wouldn't betray such a good man? "It's not absolutely certain. But please be careful around him."

"I will." There was no hesitation in his voice as he looked back at me.

"You trust me so easily?"

"With my life." He grinned, lifting his hand to show me his wrist. "Just let me know if you want your bracelet back."

I stared at the dark beads, feeling a sense of longing deep inside. I had worn it for years, always thinking of him each time I touched it. But now... it had too many meanings. It meant being a major character, part of this bloody plot.

"I can't take it yet." I answered him honestly, wishing I could say something different.

He looked disappointed, but smiled anyways, putting his hand down. "Well then, I'll hold onto it. But just know that it will always belong to you, if ever you want it." His gaze held my own, and I found myself blushing at the intention in his eyes.

"Just be careful." I muttered, turning away.

He laughed, a low pleasant sound that made me smile along. "I promise." He glanced back towards the group and added. "Since it's not certain yet, I won't act yet. But I'll watch him closely."

We walked back towards the scarred man at the table, who I assumed was Slash, the bandit leader. "Now can we get back to the challenge?" He asked, looking pissed.

"Of course."

As Luke calmly answered him, I looked around for Eric. He stood near table, studying it as if lost in thought. I walked closer, and he looked up as I drew next to him, his face turning pale as he met my eyes. I wasn't sure how I looked right then, but I knew it wasn't a pleasant, welcoming expression.

"Miss..." He started to speak but stopped as I held up a hand.

"I will give you one chance to survive." I leaned in and whispered in his ear. "If you protect him, serve him well, then there is no reason for us to fight. But if you hurt him, you will die. Painfully."

I stepped back "I promise you that."

"..." Eric stepped back, his eyes wide, looking confused, before nodding silently.

Slash watched our interchange, seemingly taken aback by my threatening our own teammate, but soon shrugged, regaining his composure and explaining the challenge.

It was the same as the one described in the book: one glass of wine for each participant, including Slash himself. Each person picked a random glass and drank from it. Only one of the glasses would be poisoned. If Luke survived, he would get the Tarif.