Episode 16 : Far From the Madding Crowd

Start from the beginning

"Tell me what happened," he said.

"What?"

"You said you were going to the ladies' room. Then a few minutes later my sister tells me to hurry up and go look for you at the pool. And I find you and my best friend in the water." He frowned. "Did he push you in?"

"No!" She knitted the fingers of both hands together nervously. "He fell in. And he stayed under for such a long time I thought he was drowning or something."

"What were you doing there?"

"I was coming from the house. I used the ladies' room downstairs."

"There's a bathroom outside near the party."

She shrugged. "Yeah, but it was..." She paused. "It was full."

After a long moment, he nodded but his brow was slightly furrowed as though he didn't fully understand. "I see. Is there anything else you want to tell me?"

She shook her head. There was no way she was going to tell him about the women in the bathroom. It was just too humiliating. "No. I'm fine, really. I just need to put on some make-up and I'll be ready to go."

He smiled. "You don't seem exactly enthusiastic about going back."

"No, I—"

"Hayley, it's fine."  He got up. "I'll go say goodnight to Edward and tell him we're turning in early." He looked around. "Is there anything you need? A toothbrush?"

"No." She smiled and nodded toward the bathroom. "It's practically a pharmacy in there. But..." She sighed. "You shouldn't have to miss the party just because I am."

"We'll be here all weekend. I won't be missing anything." With a reassuring grin, he left the room.

Hayley leaned back into the chair with relief. A reprieve. At least until tomorrow, when she'd have to face Edward and his friends again. She bit her lip. Of course they were Gabriel's friends too. She'd have to get along with them for the next three months. Why did the movies make these arrangements seem so easy? Sure, the money was good, but you had to go to places you didn't belong. And make friends with people who despised you. There was so much ... emotional labor involved. She had no idea what it was until Jenna brought it up a few months ago. Now here she was hiding from a bunch of people who probably didn't give a shit whether she was at the party or not, feeling exhausted from the two hours she spent in their company.

She changed into her pajamas. But just as she was about to get into bed, she realized she and Gabriel hadn't discussed their sleeping arrangements. Were they supposed to get into bed together? Was he planning to...

She shook her head. No way. He had always seemed to take for granted that they would never have sex. And so had she. But then... he kissed her. In front of everyone. And not just a quick kiss — which was all he would need to show people they were truly a couple —but a long, deep, lingering one. The memory of it made her lips tingle and her heart race. Her gaze fell on the couch. It wasn't nearly big enough for someone of her height — and she was barely five-four — but otherwise it looked comfortable.

A quick check of the closet revealed an extra comforter and sheets. She carried them to the couch and made a bed. She settled under the comforter, her lower legs dangling over one end of the couch. It would have to do. Turning on her phone, she pulled up Instagram.

This was her nightly ritual, going through her news feed. It was Paris Fashion Week for men's wear and she did like looking at the photos and videos of the runways and red carpets. But it was the women's images that she enjoyed the most. Especially the French models in their carefree yet stylish outfits, barely any makeup on their perfect faces and hair expertly mussed as though to say, "Why, yes, I woke up like this." Hayley sighed contentedly, feeling relaxed for the first time all day.