Chapter 14

Frida helped Manny onto the balcony and gently laid him down. She tore off part of her dress and tried to use it to stop the bleeding but it made no difference.

"I'm so sorry." She said. "This is all my fault."

"Frida."

"Don't talk, I'm gonna get help."

"No, stay with me. Please." He breathed.

"But you're hurt."

"I don't care. It doesn't hurt so bad anymore, in fact I don't think I can feel it."

"Oh God I wish I had gotten here sooner."

"Maybe it's better this way."

"Don't say that. You'll be alright, we're together now okay? So you're gonna be fine."

But they knew that wasn't true. His body was cold and he was getting so pale. Tears were streaming down her face, Manny weakly raised his hand up to wipe away her tears. He hated to see her cry. She was so much more beautiful when she was smiling. It made him sad that he may never see her smile again or hear her laugh. This was it. He knew that it was now or never. If he was going to die he had to tell her before he did.

"Frida."

"Yes?"

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. Before I met you I was such a terrible person, I was mean to everyone I knew but you...You made me a better person. You made me happier than I've ever been and I...I never thought that I'd love anyone so much. I know that I'm too ugly for you to love but I-"

"You are not ugly!" She protested with more tears flowing. "You are the most beautiful man I have ever met."

He coughed hard and found himself hardly able to keep his eyes open any longer.

"At least I got to see you one last time."

Those were his last words before his eyes closed, his body went limp, and he breathed his last breath. Frida covered her mouth in devastated horror.

"No. No! Please! Please don't leave me!" She begged.

Heartbroken, she tearfully collapsed onto his chest and wept into his shirt. She prayed to God from the bottom of her heart that he wouldn't die. She would do anything, anything in the world if only he wouldn't let Manny die. If he were to live then she would never leave him again as long as she lived.

"I love you." She whispered.

At the very moment those words left her lips the last petal from the rose fell. All was quiet and dark, nothing could be heard except Frida's sobs. Then suddenly streams of bright light began to fall from the sky toward the crying beauty and the dying beast. Frida watched in amazement as Manny was slowly lifted into the air and began to change. First his wounds healed then the fur, claws, fangs, and tail began to disappear from his body. There wasa  bright, flashing light and he was then gently lowered back on to the ground. Frida approached the figure lying across from her but just before she could touch him he took a deep breath and stood up. He looked at himself then turned to face her. Standing in place of the tiger beast was a handsome young man with dark brown hair, warm brown eyes, and freckles. Frida found herself both confused and frightened by what had happened. The young man sensing her discomfort gave her a reassuring smile.