♡prologue♡

"Ruby, I think I'm going to die," Marissa squealed.

"You're not going to die, silly!" Ruby said, booping the blonde haired girl's nose.

Marissa stared at her with big, blue eyes, filled with fear.

"You'll be okay as long as I'm here. I will protect you," Ruby said, putting her hand atop Marissa's small knee.

It felt as if time stopped.

"I don't feel scared when I'm with you, Ruby," Marissa said.

Marissa jolted as the rollercoaster began to go even faster. She screamed loudly as they went down. Ruby giggled at her friend.

As the two got off, Marissa clutched her stomach. "I think I'm gonna be sick!"

Ruby held onto her shoulders firmly to keep her on her feet. "Don't fall!"

"Papa, I have to throw up!" Marissa squealed.

"Okay, baby girl. Go to the bathroom with Ruby, okay? I'm not allowed in there."

Marissa nodded. Ruby began to lead her to the bathroom. "Ruby, I feel like death."

Ruby laughed. It was a sweet, happy sound. It felt like music to Marissa's little ears.

Immediately, the urge to vomit left the blonde haired girl. She stared at Ruby as she began to fix her hair up. "That roller coaster messed my hair up," Ruby whined.

Marissa ran over to her and stood beside her. She peered at the mirror. "Ruby, I think you've gotten shorter!" Marissa gasped.

Marissa had always been the taller of the two. Ruby was her little short pancake.

"One day, I'm gonna be taller than you," Ruby concluded.

"That's not possible," Marissa inquired.

"I'll make it possible!"

"Whatever you say, shortcake," Marissa giggled.

"Hey!"

The two ran from the bathroom, giggling loudly. "Papa, save me! Ruby's tryina get me!" Marissa squealed.

"She's teasing me because I'm shorter!" Ruby argued.

Ruby's father stared at Marissa's papa before the two burst out laughing. "Our girls are such good friends. I hope they stay that way," Ruby's father said

"Me too," Marissa's papa agreed.

"Ruby, let's go ride another roller coaster!" Marissa said.

"But what if you get sick?" Ruby asked.

Marissa brushed the question away. "I'll be fine," she concluded.

Moments later, they were on another roller coaster, getting strapped in. The coaster began to move, going up at a stable speed. Then, it began to speed up.

Marissa jolted awake. Her entire body was covered in cold sweat. She hadn't had a dream like that in forever. The girl with black hair. She barely remembered her, but she'd recently been the only thing that Marissa could think about.

She remembered exactly why they weren't friends anymore.

She remembered how mama died.

She remembered how the girl's parents divorced.

She remembered how the girl's father lost custody.

She remembered how the girl's mother remarried.

She remembered how Papa and the girl's mother never tried to catch up anymore.

She remembered how the girl had to move when her mother remarried.