Thirty Five - "Eddie, I think she's dead..."

Start from the beginning

The second they entered the room Lyds had flashbacks to the day Henry attacked her and mike, she could hear Eddie's cries in the back of her mind and the way the gun had felt when she fired a bullet into the boy's chest. That day had been the most difficult of her life, and Lyds had faced many difficult days, but something told her deep down inside that this day was going to be the worst she had ever faced.

She knew. She felt it before it was even over.

"I can't believe we have to go back down into that fucking thing." Lyds grimaced, "Last time we were down there we almost lost Stan."

"Except you saved him." Bev spoke softly.

"No I didn't."

"Lyds you tried to sacrifice yourself for him, that's pretty fucking hardcore." Richie chuckled and for a moment each of the losers found themselves smiling

"I'd do the same for any of you." The Kaspbrak woman shrugged before she climbed down into the well.

"Dude your wife is so fucking cool." Richie smirked to which Eddie nodded with a wide smile, despite where they were.

"Yeah, she is." He grasped ahold of the rope, "You okay down there babe? You need some help?"

"I got it!" She called back up as she climbed into the tunnel, "Your turn!"

"Uh - I think Richie should go next!"

"You don't have to be scared Eds! We talked about this! I'm right here to catch you if you fall!"

"Listen to your wife man." Mike spoke up and ushered Eddie towards the edge.

"My wife." Eddie swallowed the lump in his throat and with that he too descended the rope.

"See, I told you you could do it." She told him once he was safe by her side again within the depths of the cistern.

"Not without you." He pressed an everlasting kiss to her lips.

"Do you heteros have to do that everywhere you go? Jesus!" Richie gagged as he too climbed into the tunnel beside them.

"We are married Richie."

"Yeah! I have a bone to pick about that! Why wasn't I invited to the wedding?"

"We could barely remember you Richie."

"And yet you remembered Stan?"

"I think it's favouritism Rich." Ben half smiled as he climbed to join them.

"We don't have favourites that would be like choosing between our dumbass kids."

"I can't believe we're having this conversation in a fucking sewer tunnel." Rich grimaced, becoming overwhelmingly aware of where they were and the dire situation they had all placed themselves in once more.

"Let's get this over and done with." Bill crawled ahead of the others, leading the way. "And after this is all over, I think we should go for pancakes."

"The sweet taste of victory." Eddie nodded with the greatest amount of determination Lyds had ever seen on his face. He was ready, just as she was.

Slowly the losers crept through the sewer pipes once more, after 27 years away from that place they were sucked back in. Derry was a black hole to them, they would never be able to escape it, just as they couldn't Pennywise, he was their past, present, and future, and they were all willing to accept that.

Each and every one of the losers became increasingly aware of that fact the deeper they ventured into the sewer and eventually they became submerged in it just as they were the grey water, it was up to their shins, then their waists, then all at once their necks; they were swimming in it. Lyds had never wanted to puke more in her life.