'Quiet' time with friends

We walk up the staircase together, going up to the property where Kagome lives and the shrine stands.

"I see you've found Inuyasha." Kagome smiles as we reach her home, already waiting outside for us. "I hope he wasn't any trouble."

I grin cheekily. "He's always trouble." I answer, making Inuyasha glower at me before he turns to Kagome.

"She's going with us. So, let's go. We're wasting time here." he urges impatiently.

Kagome's eyes light up. "Really?!"

I nod before saying, "Only a quick trip to give this a try. It would be just my luck if someone needed me while I'm away." I tell her, making her nod.

"We can do that. I've got my stuff ready. We can go now and spend the night there and get you back the next day." she assures me excitedly.

"Great." I nod before a silence befalls us. "So... I guess we're okay to go then?" I speak up after a while.

Kagome nods. "I guess so. Are you nervous?" she questions me, making me think on it.

"Maybe a little." I confess. "But I guess it'll be okay wouldn't it? There are only so many things that could go wrong after all." I chuckle nervously, making Kagome smile awkwardly.

"Let's not jinx it." she offers before leading the way into her house so she can grab her stuff. "You can put your backpack in my room. I have some things you can use at Kaede's if you need it." she tells me, making me comply.

When I turn around after putting my stuff down in the corner of her room, I am faced with Kagome dangling something in front of my face. "Is that what I think it is?" I wonder.

She nods proudly. "I had a little help from grandpa, but we managed to mount this shard of the Shikon jewel on a necklace, just in case you were going with us. That way you can pass through the well with ease and, well, to be honest, I was hoping you could keep an eye on it for a while. With Naraku gathering shards so quickly it will be a relief to have a shard out of his reach, just in case something happens, and he does manage to gather them all." she sighs.

I blink curiously at the little shard. "That's actually pretty smart. Now you'll be the only one to have easy access to it. I'm honored though that you thought about me for this."

"That was my idea." Inuyasha butts in proudly. "I'd rather have it be you than anyone else. If someone does manage to come after you for it, at least you don't make it easy for them." I nod, believing he has a point.

"Alright, I'll look after it." I agree, putting it around my neck and hiding it underneath my shirt.

Kagome smiles happily. "Thanks Kira."

"Now, can we finally go?" Inuyasha asks, tapping his foot impatiently.

I shake my head at his impatience. "Yes Inuyasha."

Kagome and I follow after him towards this shed that hold an ancient well. It's the portal to the feudal era where Inuyasha comes from.

"So we just jump right?" I ask, just to be sure.

Kagome nods. "That's right. Just follow my lead." she tells me before climbing over the edge. "Here I go!" she calls, letting herself drop down.

I watch her disappear in a faint light. Maybe it's not so different from the portals I know. I nod to myself. I can do this. "Okay, Geronimo!" I call, jumping right in quickly followed by Inuyasha.

The bottom of the well disappears beneath my feet and all goes black for a moment as I get the sensation as if I'm floating. Then these lights appear around me and it feels almost tranquil. It's almost like I'm floating amongst the stars. Then the ride ends, and my feet gently touch down onto the dirt.

"Come on." Inuyasha urges, jumping out in a single leap. I look up against the sunlight to see Kagome climbing along the vines crawling up the side of the well. The mere fact there is no roof above the well is enough prove that we're not where we used to be, and curiosity fills me as I take Kagome's example and start to climb up along the vines.

As soon I join them both beside the well, I look around at the woods flanking the clearing we're in. In the distance there are green rolling mountains. The air is fresh and the smell of trees hangs in the air.

"Well, that was just the first step. Let's walk to Kaede's village, there you can really get a taste of feudal Japan and you get to meet the others." Kagome suggests. I smile. It would be nice to finally put the faces with the names in the stories she tells me.

The village is not far and soon enough we reach small fields that are being cultivated before walking through dirt streets flanked by cozy huts. It's quite lively for such a small village, people appear quite happy here. And I guess since Kagome comes here often, dressed in a modern school uniform, they must not be very surprised to see someone dressed like I am, because no one bats an eye as we pass through the village together.

..........

I was a little nervous to meet Kagome's friends. She holds them in such high esteem. But it turned out they are all very welcoming. I suppose Inuyasha has the worst personality out of the group, and since I can handle him, the rest is a breeze to get along with. Only Miroku had to be set straight once, but Sango made sure he was on his best behavior for the rest of the day.

The time passed by too quickly for my liking and soon the old priestess Kaede ushered us to go to sleep.

Soon the small home is filled with soft snores, but after tossing and turning for what feels like forever, sleep seems to elude me. It must be from all the new impressions that my mind is reeling.

"Hm?"

I sit upright when a strange noise reaches my ears. Curious, I get to my feet and and move my way to the door. Making sure Kagome's slightly short sleeping yukata is wrapped around me tightly I peek outside.

The village seems quiet and peaceful, but that noise is persistent. It's so faint, but it annoys the hell out of me though.

"What the heck?" I breathe as I spot an oversized bee. It must be demonic, because I've never seen anything like it. The real question is; what is it doing flying around the village at night.

Striding closer, the creature takes notice. It does nothing but seemingly stare.

"You're not all that impressive for a demon, but I have a good sense for those that are about to stir up trouble." I state calmly as I narrow my eyes at it. I'm not sure what kind of reaction I'm expecting, but it makes not a single move.

Before I can come up what to say or do next, a sudden explosion rips my attention away from it. It seems to have come from the edge of the village.

"Kira!" a voice calls my name, making my eyes fly towards Inuyasha who comes storming out of the hut.

"Over here!" I call out to him.

"What the hell is going on?!" he demands to know as he comes rushing over, soon followed by the rest of the group.

"Let's go find out!" I yell over the sound of another bang before I pump my legs towards the place where the world seems to be ending, ignoring sticks and stones digging into the soles of my bare feet.

And here I was hoping for a quiet night with friends. Luck is not on my side it seems.