Steve H.

white lies...

I saw him dancing there by the record machineI knew he must've been about 17

I knew he must've been about 17

Dustin Henderson is a weird kid. I knew that, of course I knew that. I mean he spends his time playing boardgames in a basement when he could be out trying alcohol for the first time or flirting with girls at the movie theaters. However, loading my car with over thirty pounds of raw meat was one of the most sane ideas he's had. The butcher didn't seem to think so and I'm sure my dad won't either when he sees my bank statements. We had a plan, lure the stupid interdimentional slug out of town, corner it in an abandoned bus yard, and kill that son of a bitch. Or at least that was my plan since my idea of apologizing to Nancy had flown out the window. But hey this seemed slightly more important. Truthfully, it also seemed less scary. The plan started getting weird however when an angry ebony intercepted us in the middle of the parking lot.

"No way play the Clash."

"Guns and Roses or silence."

Dustin clicked his tongue. "Silence."

"Yeah well you see that's not really an option." I hummed impatiently at the smart mouthed kid.

"Then why would you make it one?" He countered as he tried to shove a caset in my stereo, only for him to drop it to the floor as a loud bang sounded on the hood of my car. His jaw falling slack as he stared right up ahead, looking as if he had seen an angel.

Only in this case the angel was wrapped in body hugging black high waisted leather pants and a tight white blouse. Instead of a halo there was a glare burning through us so intensely that it looked like her eyes were the gateway to hell. "Holy shit," he breathed out still staring ahead "is that?" He trailed off at a lost for words.

I wasn't much better off. Before today I've only seen her in jeans and raggedy old tank tops handed down from her brother. Messy teased hair and hardly any makeup. She was a shocking beauty none the less, but at the moment she out did any movie star on a magazine cover. Farrah Fawcett, Goldie Hawn, Phoebe Cates, they all flew out the window as Angelic Hargrove stood in front of my car. Hands on her hips, long raven hair in shiny neat ringlets, precise winged eyeliner, and glossy ruby red lipstick on. "Uhuh." I nodded staring straight ahead my mouth falling open despite my efforts.

She marched up angrily to Dustin's side of the car, tapping violently on the window. Dustin didn't seem to react, so I had to lean over and rolled down the window for him. I sent her my smile, knowing that she was most likely still mad about the rebound incident. It was like I wasn't even there though because her eyes continued burning holes into Dustin's toothless smile.