A car alarm beeped.
He quickly jumped off of me and hurriedly walked to the window, peaking out of the blinds.
I sat up fixing myself.
"What is it?" I asked nervously.
He turned to me gritting his teeth, "Look, I'd hate to ask this of you, I'll explain later, but I need you to hide."
"Hide? Is it bad if we're seen together?" I asked hurt.
There was loud banging against the front door.
"Oscar!" A woman's voice yelled.
"Fuck," he hissed, "please Elaina," he whispered.
I stood up, I wanted to be angry but instead I just retreated to one of the rooms, by the looks of it, I walked into Cesar's. Pictures of him and his friends were taped to the walls, showing off their memories together. I shook my head, I should have known better. I shouldn't have done that. The front door opened, and I began to hear yelling.
"I know that bitch is here Oscar, where the fuck is she!"  The woman shouted.
"I don't know what the fuck you're talking about Charlize, don't come up I'm my house thinking you can talk to me this way, why the fuck you here!" He shouted back.
Oscar's baby momma.
I mentally kicked myself, fuck.
"I needed you to sign some papers for Alejandro's school, I called several times but you never answered!" She spat.
There was silence.
"Oh yeah? That's why I have 0 missed calls?" He accused.
"Well, then you're phone must be fucked up because I called you," she scoffed.
"Whatever," he replied angrily, "where are these papers you want me to sign so badly."
"I- I uh must have left them at my my moms by accident," she replied calmly.
He laughed, "just get out Charlize."
"But -" she started to say.
"Get out!" He ordered.
"No! That doesn't explain why that bitch's car is out front!" She retorted.
"It must be the neighbor's Charlize, fuck I don't know, it's no business of yours anyways, we ain't together!" He spat.
I sighed looking around, Cesar's window was slightly ajar. I raised my eyebrows, I don't want to talk to him, he's made it clear, if they're not together what's so bad about us being seen together? Instead I was told to hide like a damn secret. I opened the window slightly more, and ducked out onto the side of the house, I looked behind me adjusting the window to how it was before. I walked forward quietly, I kept hearing yelling inside. I darted forward fast walking toward my car, not wanting to be noticed by her or him. I leaped into my car shutting the door quietly and peered off down the street and away from his house.
I was nearing the front of my place when my phone started ringing.
I glanced at the screen.
Oscar.
I shook my head tightening my grip on the steering wheel.
My phone chimed.
I looked at it again
Now he was texting me.

I parked and walked into my apartment throwing the keys on the counter and opened up my phone.

Oscar : why'd you leave? I kicked her out, you should have let me explain myself, that was a misunderstanding.

I glared at the screen.

Me: There is no misunderstanding Oscar, everything was made perfectly clear to me.

Oscar: what are you talking about Elaina? What was made perfectly clear?

Me: you don't want people to find out, I'll make it easier for you to do that, we won't engage in that way again. You're a guy that I'll be babysitting for.

A few minutes passed, the message was read but there was no response.

I rolled my eyes and plopped down on the couch, I bet his feelings would get hurt if I asked HIM to hide. I mean what does he expect? Even then, I'd never ask him to hide. Like, what the fuck. I groaned pressing my head against the cushions. I don't even feel like going in for my shift, but I got to make rent. I got up and slowly started getting ready for my shift at the diner.
I walked in and was greeted by Ambrose and Jacobo.
"Hey sis," he waved. I smiled, "hey Ambrose."
Jacobo grinned, "Elaina, you're early." I shrugged, "didn't feel like being home." He raised his eyebrows chuckling, "Aw, so you decided to come in early."
I laughed, "don't feel like being here either, but here at least I can keep busy and make money."
He smiled shaking his head, "Alright girl, get to it."
I was a couple of hours into my shift when I heard someone say my name.
"I want to be seated at one of her tables, didn't you hear me the first time?" A girl asked annoyed.
"Elaina?" Jacobo replied turning towards me unsure.
I looked to the group of girls standing in front of him. They all glared at me. I don't know them, maybe I'm seeing things. I shrugged nodding towards Jacobo.
"Alright Elaina will escort you," he replied. Jacobo rushed towards me and whispered in my ear, "Let me know if they become a problem." I looked at him confused. One of the girls cleared their throats. With that he walked away.
Okay Jacobo?
I picked up a few menus and motioned for them to follow me, "right this way ladies."  One of them scoffed,  at least I think they did. Okay, maybe I'm hearing things. I seated them at a booth, and began to take their drink orders. "What kind of beverages can I get for you all?" I smiled.
One of them spoke, "I would like a glass of water with two lemons and medium ice," she replied coldly.
I nodded, "yes ma'm."
Another girl spoke up, "I want a soda, lots of ice, half coke, half Diet Coke."
I looked at her with a strange expression, "okay not a problem.
She gave a dry laugh, "well with that face you're making it seems like it'll be a problem."
I shook my head, "no it really isn't."
She tossed her long straight black hair back, she looked away.
I looked towards the girl with the long curly black hair, "just a spirite, thank you."
I nodded smiling, "and for you ma'm?"
She chuckled, "don't call me ma'm, just Pearl, and Ill have an unsweetened tea."
I nodded towards all of them, "I'll be back with your drinks ladies."
I walked off hearing one of them hiss, "you two are so fucking petty!"
I came after a couple of minutes laying down each of their drinks.
"Took long enough," the one with the curly haired bun spat looking at the girl with the half and stupid fucking half order.
I'm not in the mood girls.
Keep you're composure Elaina, maybe we're all just having a bad day.
The straight haired girl took a sip of her drink and stared back at it in disgust, "I asked for half and half. I'm tasting more of the diet, it throws everything off."
I nodded, "I'll change that for you, sorry about that."
I left and came back with a different drink.
She took another sip, "much better."
I nodded trying to hurry and get their orders out of the way, "what would you all like to order?"
Surprisingly the orders weren't made to be complicated, okay maybe they're just really particular about their drinks.
I brought back their plates and left to let them eat.
I must have only been gone for a few minutes when I heard someone shout from my table, "Excuse me!"
I turned, hurriedly walking towards them, "Yes, what can I get for you?"
They all looked to each other, the one with the curly haired bun spoke, "I figured let's not waste any more time, my name is Charlize."
I nodded, "my name is Elaina."
"I know," she spat.
I looked at her confused, "have I met you before?"
She laughed, "no, but your car has."
My car?
Wait... my eyes widened.
I looked around the table.
Four girls.
This must be them.
The baby momma's.
Remain calm Elaina.
Your car has been fixed and it didn't come out of your pocket, that's all that matters.
I crossed my arms, "I see."
"I see," the other one across from her mocked.
Charlize giggled.
The other girls next to them stared at me, their expressions unreadable.
"I helped," the other one cackled, "I'm Gloria, Lila is MY daughter."
I sighed trying to keep my composure.
"Your daughter is adorable," I commented.
"What?" She snapped, "you've met her?"
Shit. I hope I didn't cause problems for Pepe.
I stood there speechless.
Charlize laughed again, "look at this bitch, too afraid to say anything."
I shook my head mad, "that's not it at all, but as you can see, I'm at work. So if you got a problem with me I get out at 9."
She glared at me, "You know, I know that you were at Oscar's house," she laughed, "he told me that you're just fun for the guys, apparently you like to homie hop."
I scoffed, "I really don't know what you're talking about, and I really don't care for what he did or didn't tell you."
She looked over at the girl with the long curly hair, "Flakas, did you know she was all over Esteban at a party? Then I catch her parked at Spooky's? That's so funny."
The girl name Flakas stared at me for a few seconds and looked away, returning to her food.
I glared between Gloria and Charlize, "I don't know what this is, but there's a place to do it, don't come to my job talking shit to me, meet me outside at 9 if you got something to say."
I walked off.
I approached Jacobo fuming, "You knew didn't you?" I asked.
He nodded already knowing what I was talking about, "Of course I knew Elaina, I'm the one that told you what kind of vehicle she was driving around."
I was silent for a few seconds, "I've given them their food, and their drinks, I hope you don't mind, but I'd rather not wait on their table."
"Given the circumstances, I'll have to agree with you," he replied rubbing my arm.
I returned to the dining room to find that two of the girls from the table were paying already. I walked by them.
"Excuse me?" A voice said from behind me.
I turned around, it was the girl sitting across from Flakas, Pearl.
"Yes..." I asked warily.
"Henrietta and I just came because we wanted to meet you, meet the person our exes are entrusting with the kids," she replied flatly.
I nodded, "I'd want to meet me too, understood."
There was an awkward silence.
I spoke up, "Look I didn't know I'd be causing trouble by agreeing to babysit, Oscar approached me asking if I had any experience with children, I told him that I did, he asked what my availability was and asked if I could watch the kids if they or anyone else was unable too, I told him that I could. That was it, there's nothing going on with anyone. I just work for them," I replied sternly.
"Don't worry about Charlize and Gloria, their feelings are just hurt," Henrietta replied.
"That's not my goal," I said, "I'm good at what I do, I'll send pictures, updates, and notify you and their fathers if anything happens."
Pearl looked down with a sense of relief, "Put yourself in our shoes, all we knew was the guys hired a babysitter, a stranger to take of our kids, Henrietta has a baby, and I have a daughter, we thought you'd be some hood rat, or someone in the gang, or a damn junkie trying to make some easy money off of some kids."
I gave a slight smile, I get it, they don't know me, I'd be worried too, "A little about me real quickly because I have to get back to work, but my name is Elaina, I met the guys through my boss, who referred me to them, I'm 18, I live alone in a townhome over on Dodd St, I have another job besides this one, and I'm even CPR certified thanks to a free class at my mom's job."
They both looked surprised.
"Can we talk more after you get out?" Henrietta asked.
I nodded, "of course, this.. this is my number," I muttered as I scribbled it down on a sheet from my notepad, "just text me or call around that time."
They both nodded, "thank you for talking with us."
"Of course," I smiled, and with that they left.

~•~•~•~•~•~

A few hours later I walked out towards my car when I heard my phone ring. It was an unknown number.
Maybe it was one of the girls.

"Hey this is Pearl, I'm going to send you my address, could we talk there?"

"Yea, of course," I replied.

My phone chimed, I entered the address into my phone and peered off towards Pearl's apartments.
I stood outside her door texting her that I was here. The sounds of locks turning could be heard from my side and a few seconds later, it was Henrietta who answered.

"Hey," she said quickly, "come in."
"Nice to see you again," I smiled walking inside.
The door slammed shut. I turned and saw a fist coming towards me, connecting with my face. I fell against the floor, clutching my chin.
"What the fuck," I spat.
I felt someone jump on top of me, it was Charlize, "Bitch, you all big and bad at the diner but now you got nothing, what happened pussy!"
I attempted to swing my fist when I felt someone grab both my arms, restraining them both over my head.
"How you like that bitch! You think you'd learn the first time," Gloria screamed at me.
Charlize clawed at my face, punching me and pulling my hair. I bucked my body throwing her off of me. I rolled myself getting out of Gloria's grasp.
I jumped to my feet and saw Charlize get restrained by Pearl, and Gloria by Henrietta. My breath was heaving, my palms glistening with sweat.
"You fucking bitches, you both said you just wanted to talk to her!" Henrietta shouted. Pearl pushed Charlize against the wall, "Chill out chick, don't turn this into a fight against me," she ordered, "we both know how'd that turn out." 
I heard crying in the other room.
Henrietta pushed Gloria into a chair, "now my son is crying putas."
I clutched my face, "so that's how it's gonna be."
Pearl looked to me apologetically, "I'm sorry, they said they wanted to talk, we didn't know about this."
"Don't apologize to this bitch, she got what was coming to her, she shouldn't be messing with another girls man!" Charlize yelled.
"She's just a babysitter," Pearl snapped.
"Is that what you need to tell yourself to feel better Pearl?" Charlize fumed, "I'll leave her alone if she leaves my family alone!"
I shook my head, "You want me gone? You got it."
I stomped off past Pearl.
"Yeah, that's right, keep fucking walking!" Gloria yelled after me.
I wanted to cry, not from pain, but frustration.
Three strikes against me and I haven't even watched the kids yet, imagine if the guys came around more, or the kids started getting attached, how much worse would things get?
Oscar didn't even think twice about my feelings, and apparently he gives Charlize enough leeway to think she can flatten my tires, come to my job, and jump me.
"This isn't worth it," I sadly muttered to myself.
I got in my car pulling out my phone, sending a message to Oscar.

"I'm done."